Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 PM

Default Use PC Keyboard to Trigger VI Drums

I am using Addictive Drums inserted as a VI on an Instrument Channel in Pro Tools 11. I want to use a key on my laptop keyboard to trigger a piece of the kit (like the bass drum for example) to record it along with previously recorded tracks.

It works fine if I use the mouse to click on the picture of the drum kit and trigger one of the pieces of the kit with the mouse. But this is not easy to do with a mouse and produce accurately timed hits. I would like to be able to do the same thing with a designated key on the laptop keyboard. I can't seem to figure out how to get the keyboard to work as a trigger for AD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sys 1 - Win 10 Pro; Pro Tools 12.8.3; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB Samsung 850 SSD: 4 TB ext. WD Black USB drive; RME UFX interface; Sys 2 - Win 10 Home; Pro Tools 12.8.3 Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 3.4 Mhz; 16 GB Ram; 750 Gb int. Samsung 840 Pro SSD; RME UFX interface; Sys 3 - Win 10 Pro; Pro Tools 12.4; Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz CPU, 4 GB ram; 500 GB int. Samsung 840 SSD; RME UFX interface
Old 06-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Use PC Keyboard to Trigger VI Drums

I am not aware of any way to do this. Your best bet is to use a midi controller of some kind. even an older second hand synth can work, or one of the small trigger units like the M-Audio Trigger Finger or the Korg Nano-pad.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 PM

Albee - Thanks for the suggestions. I did some searching and found a procedure on Youtube that involves a couple of freeware apps that will supposedly do this. But I didn't want to clutter up my system with anymore apps. I ended up using my Motif XS and gave up on the idea of using the PC keyboard. I may eventually spring for a controller, but for now, this is working fine.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Cheers!!
Sys 1 - Win 10 Pro; Pro Tools 12.8.3; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB Samsung 850 SSD: 4 TB ext. WD Black USB drive; RME UFX interface; Sys 2 - Win 10 Home; Pro Tools 12.8.3 Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 3.4 Mhz; 16 GB Ram; 750 Gb int. Samsung 840 Pro SSD; RME UFX interface; Sys 3 - Win 10 Pro; Pro Tools 12.4; Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz CPU, 4 GB ram; 500 GB int. Samsung 840 SSD; RME UFX interface
Old 06-16-2014, 12:22 AM

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmpk/
Old 05-05-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
You aren't able to load vmpk into PT as a VI. I'm trying to do the same thing as the OP, and having similar problems. I found another VI drum kit, Soundplant 43, that works with the computer keyboard.. but I haven't figured out if it can be loaded into PT, yet.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
You aren't able to load vmpk into PT as a VI. I'm trying to do the same thing as the OP, and having similar problems. I found another VI drum kit, Soundplant 43, that works with the computer keyboard.. but I haven't figured out if it can be loaded into PT, yet.
This is a long way around when there are great tools to give you great drums inside your DAW. Kudos for trying, but it may just be best to use the right tool for the job

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-10-2017, 01:03 PM

I'm jumping in here so please excuse me, I may be able to help. I worked out my own way of doing this and though it may not suit everyone, it works for me. I use ezdrummer with Pt's 12.7. I instantiate a stereo instrument track and select the drum I want.(I.E.), Kick, Snare, etc. I don't know if the following is necessary but I mute all drum parts in the mixer except the one I want to record. I click on search, as the tempo plays I play the drum,(Just one hit). I then click and drag that one hit,(midi), to the selected track in PT's. From there I build the entire track with repeat or copy and paste. Once you get used to doing it this way it moves along pretty quickly! with the new way to transpose midi to audio it's even faster and then it's up to you as far as plugins.
I hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:06 AM

Albee. My keyboard is old and probably not up to spec as far as newer keyboards. (Yamaha DGX 500). If I use mini grand as an insert on a stereo instrument track playing the Yamaha has no effect at all on the mini grand. I've set up MIDI as per instructions but I still can't use the keyboard.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:13 AM

Please excuse my confusion with my responses to this thread. I was thinking drums as a virtual instrument not piano. Sorry.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
I'm jumping in here so please excuse me, I may be able to help. I worked out my own way of doing this and though it may not suit everyone, it works for me. I use ezdrummer with Pt's 12.7. I instantiate a stereo instrument track and select the drum I want.(I.E.), Kick, Snare, etc. I don't know if the following is necessary but I mute all drum parts in the mixer except the one I want to record. I click on search, as the tempo plays I play the drum,(Just one hit). I then click and drag that one hit,(midi), to the selected track in PT's. From there I build the entire track with repeat or copy and paste. Once you get used to doing it this way it moves along pretty quickly! with the new way to transpose midi to audio it's even faster and then it's up to you as far as plugins.
I hope this helps.
How's the latency with your midi controller and the PT VI insert? I'm using VMPK to trigger the drum samples in XPand! 2 and it seems a bit slow, especially when doing quick hi hat hits. The musical typing option on Garageband seems to respond quicker to the computer keyboard strokes.
Do u think it's the VMPK software that's slowing it down? Slower vs using a real keyboard as the MIDI controller. It just seems odd to me that Garageband has better latency (for MIDI) than PT.