Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2018, 12:03 AM

Default MIDI Drums

A friend brought his electronic drums to my studo today. ATV aD5.

For the life of me I can't get MIDI information into Pro Tools. I tried to set up the aD5 as a MIDI Input Device, but it's not on the Pro Tools MIDI Input Device menu.

It's connected by USB cable to a USB 2.0 port on my computer. I tried replacing the USB cable. I read the manual for PT and for the aD5. What other steps can I take?
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 05-22-2018, 12:37 AM

Default Re: MIDI Drums

Look into Audio MIDI setup of your computer.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:14 AM

One of the first things I tell people when they're having MIDI troubles is to get some kind of MIDI monitor program. This would run standalone and tell you if there's incoming data and what that data is. With this it would at least let you know if the MIDI is getting into the computer.

And of course when it comes to USB ports on a Windows machine I tell people to check that any power savings measure for them is turned off in Windows Control Panel. Even on a desktop computer Windows by default turns off the USB ports after a while.

QAPLA!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
One of the first things I tell people when they're having MIDI troubles is to get some kind of MIDI monitor program.
Thanks Jack, that helped. I downloaded MIDI OX and confirmed that I am receiving MIDI from all my devices. Then I realized all I had to do was restart Pro Tools after plugging in any new MIDI devices. After that, all the regular instructions in the manuals got me to where I needed to go. There's only one thing the manual didn't mention, which is that REC needs to be enabled in order to receive MIDI. Makes sense, but I didn't think about that at first.

Thanks!
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 05-23-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeraz View Post
Thanks Jack, that helped. I downloaded MIDI OX and confirmed that I am receiving MIDI from all my devices. Then I realized all I had to do was restart Pro Tools after plugging in any new MIDI devices. After that, all the regular instructions in the manuals got me to where I needed to go. There's only one thing the manual didn't mention, which is that REC needs to be enabled in order to receive MIDI. Makes sense, but I didn't think about that at first.

Thanks!
Glad you got it sorted. MIDI issues can be maddening. That's why I like MIDI monitor programs as they can help one to find where a problem is. One of those things like: is my keyboard even MIDI to the computer? What channel is it on? That last one can trip up people like you wouldn't believe.

QAPLA!
Old 05-23-2018, 02:18 PM

Is it set up under Setup>Midi>Midi Studio? That's the menu that matters

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave