Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Default Can I use a Mackie ProFX12 with ProTools 10?

http://www.mackie.com/products/profx12/

This is the USB mixer I have, I'm thinking to upgrade to Pro Tools 10 and am wondering if this mixer will be a compatible interface without any digidesign hardware.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac OSX 10.6.8
Old 05-14-2012, 05:17 AM

Question Re: Can I use a Mackie ProFX12 with ProTools 10?

Hello, I am interested in buying this mixer. I want to do some multi-track recording. How has it worked for you?
Did you find out if it works with Pro Tools 10?
: )
Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Can I use a Mackie ProFX12 with ProTools 10?

From what I know I think you can but will only be the "Master Fader" that you can bring in digitally in Pro Tools... I'm not sure on the drivers but most likely if your computer allows you to select the mackie as the audio input, you should be able to do the same in Pro Tools... Id have to test it to confirm
Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Smile Re: Can I use a Mackie ProFX12 with ProTools 10?

So, let me see if I understand... I will be able to use the physical master fader to control the master fader in PT, right?
That's ok, I mean, I'm not that crazy for a control surface.
But I what I really wonder is if I will be able to do multi-track recording, and how many simultaneous channels. I suppose the same that the physical mixer (12). It’s shame it is just USB 1.1 : (
Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 PM

Lol... No.... Just a 2 track digital audio feed... I'm pretty sure u can't use any faders to control anything.... Basically u can have audio inputs in pro tools see the master audio out (so the mix u hear when all inputs are combined is the master left right output) and u have to record that into pro tools... That would be the cheapest multi track system ever!!! If it worked that way... Hence why its a low cost mixer.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 PM

Thanks Jason,
So, what interface are you using for multi-track recording (meaning, recording multiple individual tracks simultaneously into Pro Tools)? How’s that been working for you?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:52 PM

I use many, in most cases I use a multi channel preamp that either directly (firewire) comes into PT or Ill bring it into an A/D interface after the Mic pre to get into PT...... really is budget and needs dependent... for a home studio I would get something like a Liquid Saffire (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...list&A=details) 8 microphone Preamps and an additional number of inputs if you want to come (direct) out of a small mixer (using its preamps) so you can have quite a few tracks being recorded at once....

There are many options and many ways... this is just an example...

Also do you need motorized faders to mix or can you get away with one fader at a time like this (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ansport.html)? Or do you even need faders?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:24 PM

Default Need help with my Mackie Profx 12 and pro tools

Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm a legally blind audio engineer. I recently purchased a Mackie Profx12 mixer. I love it the only thing however, is that it won't work with pro tools. I can't get any input or output from it even with it selected in the playback engine and hardware tab under settings. What do I need to do. I'm at a loss for words here. I don't want to have to use a different program unless I have too.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Need help with my Mackie Profx 12 and pro tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpodcaster View Post
Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm a legally blind audio engineer. I recently purchased a Mackie Profx12 mixer. I love it the only thing however, is that it won't work with pro tools. I can't get any input or output from it even with it selected in the playback engine and hardware tab under settings. What do I need to do. I'm at a loss for words here. I don't want to have to use a different program unless I have too.
OK welcome to the DUC.

First, just to check in with your expectations, this interface is a stand-alone mixer, that also has a standard stereo-in and stereo-out USB audio interface. It won't present each track as an input or output to Pro Tools or any other DAW and the faders are only internal to the Profx12, you cannot use them to control Pro Tools or any other DAW's operation.

You can record the stereo output mix of the Profx12 over USB to your computer/DAW. And you can play a stereo input to the Profx12 for it to include in a mix.

What are you trying to do at a high level/artistically with this? And what are you trying to do in detail when you say you cannot get any "input or output from it".

First thing to try would be trying to use your computer to play audio through the ProFx12 (e.g. from iTunes or similar), and see if you can hear that on the monitors/speakers connected to the ProFx12.

Can you describe what computer you have, what OS version, what monitors the ProFx12 is connected to, what and what you are hoping to do and I or other folks here can get more specific with advice.

Darryl
Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 PM

Hi Darryl,
My OS is 10.9 Mac OS X. I can hear audio through my headphones connected to the computer. I'm trying to record vocals or anything else through it. I'm not trying to control the DAW by the interface just want to record through it. When I'm talking about input and output I'm trying to do this through the I/O menus in pro tools itself. Is there something I need to get to make my computer work with the mixer? Another piece of equipment?
Thanks,
Aaron L