Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Well, it's finally happening.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
I have to say that it is kind of funny that this level of functionality (being Native and not restricted to TDM) has been requested for years. When it finally shows up, the majority of the posts (here and elsewhere) are passive if not down right insulting to the prospect.

I personally think this is a great thing and will find a use in my facility.

Randall
Well said! +1
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:12 AM

A PCIe card + Omni sounds pretty bad ass. I'm ready for better automation and ADC on my home system.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:45 AM

No more portable than the HD/chassis/MBP system I put together 2 years ago. Obviously not aimed at the on-the-go folks.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 AM

The competition:
Nuendo: $2,340.99
Apogee Symphony 64 PCI-e 995.00

Total: $3,335.99
Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 AM

I agree, it's pretty good, but this is Avid's idea of "Native" - MC5 can work with non-Avid hardware for playback. Can you name a single other native system which requires you to use hardware from the manufacturer?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 AM

Awesome, this is the future for Avid! To be able to fully use the capabilities of my computer and be able to ditch the laggy and 24 bit constrained TDM plugins is gonna be a game changer for PT and help insure its longevity. A great announcement!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM

I agree with Reichman, it's a major step forward, and now the omni is looking very doable ( and a nice interface to boot). The only thing I'm a little muffed at is the cost of a pci card. I understand that they're shooting for mid level purchasers, but a simple pci card with onboard chip for i/o processing and delay comp seems a little excessive with a price tag of 3500, especially when MOTU, RME, Apogee and others can handle these tasks on cards that range from 250 to 1200$.

However, the ADC functionality combined with higher track counts, 7.1 and support for the sync i/o will find this sneaking into the spots once reserved for the dsp systems.. maybe not on the stage where dsp is needed in front of clients, but surely everywhere else.

I'm very excited, now only if they'd provide an upgrade path from CPTK I'd be all set!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM

This seems like a great deal in relation to what PT already offers--much more powerful than an LE system, at least in what I'd want a system to be able to do. What it isn't is "Native", at least in the current version of what that means in a DAW. The new Sadie 6 can run "Native"--any interface can be used, including the onboard audio of the PC. The new PT system still requires PT hardware, it's just cheaper hardware than earlier systems with this much mojo. So I guess we redefine "Native", and are glad that badder-ass PT systems are now more economical. Congrats to PT for finally threading this needle--the PT booth at AES is going to be one CROWDED place....

phil p
Old 10-06-2010, 11:37 AM

Considering a current computer is has more processing power then an HD 10 I think the native system for 6000 is a great deal.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:35 PM

It's basically the same HD system without the TDM elements. What you pay for on those cards is TDM chips. Why the Native Core card is so much, I can't figure.