Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2014, 03:25 PM

Default HD11 Native upgrade from LE 10

I'm considering upgrading from my mbox 2 pro and PT10 to an HD omni with PT11D Native OR just upgrading to PT11 LE to save $$$.

My questions are:

Could I continue to use PT10 alongside PT11 HD like you can with PT11 LE?

Beyond the obvious differences like track count, disk cache, and lower latency, are there any other significant performance increases I would see with PT11HD Native BEYOND just upgrading to PT11 LE? I understand all versions of PT11 software are now 64bit, optimized, etc. I'm on a 3.4 GHz quad core i7 iMac and would be using the thunderbolt box with omni.

The difference in cost between these two options is huge, I know... just trying to understand what makes the most sense based on what I really need a newer "system" to do.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:04 PM

Default Re: HD11 Native upgrade from LE 10

Yes, you can keep using PT10 alongside 11. In fact, you'll have HD10 along with HD11, because you get both licenses with the HDN/Omni package.

So in both HD11 and HD10 you will have all the extra features, expanded track count, VCA tracks, surround mixing, and so on.

As for other benefits of the package, a top feature that shouldn't be overlooked would be the fantastic sound quality of the Omni.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:44 PM

Good to know! Thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 PM

I can't comment on all the added features as my new HDN w/ HD IO 8x8x8 arrives today. I just made the switch from a 002r and an Apogee Duet 2 to HDN. I had been using PT11, as I was able to upgrade relatively inexpensively as a student. The Duet was great, but channel count and things were the biggest hinderance with it. The 002r always sounded muffled to me.

I did the upgrade for the improved sound quality and because a friend who I trust strongly recommended I go the HDN route, he told me that I may not know the benefits now, but when your sessions get bigger and you learn the added editing abilities and such, you'll be glad you did.

If you decide to go the HDN route, I strongly recommend Robb Zenn at Alto Music. I was flip-flopping all over the place with my decisions and finally made my purchase through him after a week and a half and probably 30 emails and several phone calls. He was extremely patient, informative, and really helped with my budget restrictions. Although I'm not very knowledgeable as an engineer, I've been a pro musician for a long time, and Robb provided me with the best customer service I have ever experienced. 2 weeks ago I had never even heard of Alto Music, but after seeing references to them here and dealing with Rob, he has a customer for life...
Old 03-21-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVcrane View Post
I can't comment on all the added features as my new HDN w/ HD IO 8x8x8 arrives today. I just made the switch from a 002r and an Apogee Duet 2 to HDN. I had been using PT11, as I was able to upgrade relatively inexpensively as a student. The Duet was great, but channel count and things were the biggest hinderance with it. The 002r always sounded muffled to me.

I did the upgrade for the improved sound quality and because a friend who I trust strongly recommended I go the HDN route, he told me that I may not know the benefits now, but when your sessions get bigger and you learn the added editing abilities and such, you'll be glad you did.

If you decide to go the HDN route, I strongly recommend Robb Zenn at Alto Music. I was flip-flopping all over the place with my decisions and finally made my purchase through him after a week and a half and probably 30 emails and several phone calls. He was extremely patient, informative, and really helped with my budget restrictions. Although I'm not very knowledgeable as an engineer, I've been a pro musician for a long time, and Robb provided me with the best customer service I have ever experienced. 2 weeks ago I had never even heard of Alto Music, but after seeing references to them here and dealing with Rob, he has a customer for life...
What discounts do you get as a student for HD packages?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-21-2014, 05:15 PM

Not a student for HD... I was previously using Pro Tools 11 vanilla that I purchased as a student...