Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2014, 06:07 PM

Default Mbox Pro 3 Issue But On Windows 8.1 (No sound,blinking light)

Windows 8.1
Intel i7 4770 3.4
Mbox Package 1.1.10
Firmware - 1.0.4
Pro Tools 10
Fl Studio 11

Mbox Control Panel states that "hardware is connected and streaming" when I am not using none of my DAWs or Windows media player for example but when I do try and play audio or launch my DAWs I get no sound and errors stating that not outputs are found/available. In Pro tools playback engine is Mbox btw.

I am getting around the problem by shutting on and off my mbox pro 3 when needed, if it is kept on throughout the day when I return the blue light is blinking and I have to shut off/on or restart the system but this has only happened twice, usually it just "looks" normal but does not operate normal.

Below are some screenshots I took when this was happening, as you can see the volume control option images are showing signal but it is still, its not continuous and the control panel shot shows what it states while this is happening.

Any suggestions? Brand new firewire card also on new system tried both ports. Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: png mbox issue 1.png (19.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png mbox issue 2.png (4.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg mbox issue 3.jpg (20.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png mbox issue 4.png (67.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Cgbravo; 07-08-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Mbox Pro 3 Issue But On Windows 8.1 (No sound,blinking light)

Just tried to record vocals and the interface started blinking power light. I Can't seem to do much w/o having to shut off the interface on/off, I am also having to manually change playback engine in Pro Tools 10 to Mbox Pro, If I leave system standing by for a while, Mbox no longer outputs anything.

Last edited by Cgbravo; 07-08-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:59 AM

I would recommend not using the Mbox as your default Windows audio device, that can cause issues when both Windows and your DAW are trying to use it at the same time.

It is a good idea to go through the Optimization Guide, and be sure to disable sleep/hibernate as that can cause the issue you describe.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 07-09-2014, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Joel, I went through the power options and went to the advance settings as I did not have the more advance optimizations for the disable sleep/hibernate options set. So far everything is looking good, though this is reminding me about all the issues I had with the 003 about 2 years ago, I also changed the mbox from being the default windows audio device, though having to drag to mp3s to Fl studio is tedious, it'll do as long as it continues to function properly.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM

I left my system on standby just recently and when I got home the Mbox power light was blinking once again, this all started happening once I upgraded my PC, OS, and firewire card (which I have tried both slots and it was working fine) I touched the interface and it was a bit warm nothing drastic but considerably warmer than usual, any suggestions anyone?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:16 AM

That's why sleep/hibernate are not supported. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 08-04-2014, 02:19 PM

For reference heres a few more issues I am encountering

- Powerlight on but speaker light off (Continuously happening)
- I wasn't able to change playback engine to Mbox Pro in Pro Tools 10.3.9 (Only Once)
- Audio suddenly stopped when playing back in Fl Studio

When all of these issues occur I usually restart the system and see if the Mbox responses or I have to reset the unit all together.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:43 PM

So have you properly optimized your PC including disabling power management and USB power management as mentioned earlier? -- EDIT: I see you have.

But then you say "I left my system on standby" -- you can't do that. Avoiding the PC doing that is why power management/sleep is disabled.

So if you are doing stuff like sleeping/suspending the PC or allowing Windows to do that then it is just (not) working as expected.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
So have you properly optimized your PC including disabling power management and USB power management as mentioned earlier? -- EDIT: I see you have.

But then you say "I left my system on standby" -- you can't do that. Avoiding the PC doing that is why power management/sleep is disabled.

So if you are doing stuff like sleeping/suspending the PC or allowing Windows to do that then it is just (not) working as expected.
Well by "stand by" I mean I go to my office get some stuff done and Mbox is still powered on as well as the PC, so if thats what you mean by I can't do that, I'll get in the habit of powering off when not in use, I just have random moments where I go in and would like to hear something, mix, record, ect.

I am also getting a bunch of errors in my sessions, I don't know why
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Session Error Pro Tools.jpg (15.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-05-2014, 01:01 PM

Default Mbox Pro 3 Issue But On Windows 8.1 (No sound,blinking light)

No by stand by I mean you are putting your computer into sleep or suspend (Microsoft actually used to call one of those Standby).

And if you have not done the optimizations properly the computer will sleep or suspend itself when you walk away and leave it.