Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-21-2008, 04:23 AM

Question Protools 8.0 - Newbie issue? Or? PROBLEM SOLVED..thx all!

Downloaded and installed 8.0 on MB Pro, w/2GBs, and it came up just fine.

However, as a new user I've still not been able to get the M-Box to record to a track. Have read the manual and followed it to the best of my ability.

I've tested my mic, it plugs and works fine into an amp. I get a green light on on the MBox, I can plug in a headset to the MBox and hear the playback on the sample tracks (MIDI drum track plays fine, I can hear it no problem running through the Mbox headphone jack). I can activate a track to record (am using an audio track to record on), have read all the basic online manual stuff, I get the flashing red light onscreen showing I *should* be recording but nothing is being recorded to the track. Settings shows that Protools 8.0 sees the MBox. I've checked that the volume controls are in what appears to be "normal" levels. I assume it's some stupid newbie issue, but man, this interface is very difficult to start with. Not counting out that it might be hardware issues, but there is no way for me to tell at this point. Since the drum track plays back fine, I assume all is right except for my lack of basics on this. Once again, I've followed the manual instructions as best as I can and it does not seem to be allowing a track to be recorded.

Any thoughts about whether I'm missing some basic issue? I'll be glad to post a quick start on this when it's solved.

Didn't see any "newbie" section to this. (like getting started?) Did I miss it?

Last edited by Al in PT; 12-21-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: problem solved
Old 12-21-2008, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Protools 8.0 - Newbie issue? Or?

If you click the record button, it will flashing, than click the play button once, it's start to record then.
Tamas Dragon
Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 AM

Sorry, yes I did that. It didn't work either. I'm going to hook up a firewire drive to my laptop today, as i didn't have that setup yesterday (I was in the process of stripping it of my Windows stuff and reformatting), but I thought I could at least record 5 seconds of "test test test". Still no actual recording coming in though by all accounts it should be.

Need to clarify that I do understand how to record on this, I've used other less complex recording software in the past, and do read manuals before starting. I am clear that I need to 'activate' the channel, get the red light flashing and then click the play button as well as the record button. It seems to show a black line in the recorded channel, but nothing plays. It doesn't look like the black line in the recorded channel has anything in it. It looks like there's no volume coming. When I clicked on the button on the M box to activate the phantom power when recording, to see if it would change anything, it created a small spike in the recording, but didn't change anything.

One additional question, not sure how high I need to turn up my input gains when using a phantom powered mic. Could that be the problem? I'll also try a crappy non powered mic as well 2day. I would doubt that's the problem, but what do I know? not much...(G).

I'm worried that something in all the myraid of settings is just not set right. There seems to be an enormous amount of possible gotcha's just getting the software up and running.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:40 AM

No, gain won't be a problem. Regardless of the gain, it should record. Two other things to check out. First check the browser window in protools if your drive is a record drive or not. The other is you might accidently swiched pro tools to "online". In that case, the software will wait to an external sync to start recording. Check that 2 things first.
Tamas Dragon
Old 12-21-2008, 11:58 AM

sorry if any of this was done, but it helps to go through it again... Lets check the audio chain... confirm all of this is done

HARDWARE
1. mic plugged into input 1
2. input 1 toggled as a mic input
3. 48v turned on if mic requires it
4. input turned up
5. Mbox plugged into computer (green power light is on)

SOFTWARE
6. Mbox is seen in OSx
7. Launch ProTools
8. confirm that Protools can see the inputs of the Mbox
9. create track (besure it is an audio track)
10. set input of track as input 1 from Mbox
11. arm track(at this time you should be able to see a signal in the software... if not then confirm previous steps)
12. hit play to start recording.

I know some of these steps seem basic and why should I bother, but as a FOH engineer this is the basic troubleshooting I go through when something doesn't work... doesn't hurt to double and triple check your set up.

That should be all of it... if anyone sees that I missed a step please post.
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 12-21-2008, 05:32 PM

Thumbs up Re: Protools 8.0 - Newbie issue? Or?

Thanks to all of you. Going through the chain again and rebooting, plugging in everything seemed to do the job. I have a feeling that perhaps the mic wasn't plugged all the way, as after a reboot with all and phantom power clearly on it all seems to work. I was able to record today just fine, got the external Firewire drive working, all is well.

Thanks again. Now to figure out the ins and outs of this very interesting piece of software.