Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-01-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Unusual midi problem?

Or I'm just being a moron and overlooking the simplest thing.
I'm not a big user of multi-timbral mode but I really need it for this particular project. I have a Roland XV-5050 and have used multiple channels in a PT session before but this time I'm stumped. I'm using the 002R as my interface with an Oxygen and/or Korg MS2000 to control.

I created 8 midi tracks and a stereo aux track to pipe the Roland's audio outs.
I select my first instrument on channel 1, ie: piano.
So far, so good.
I select the second track, 5050-->ch.2, arm record the track, i see midi being sent (fader meter and Roland light blinks when I hit the controller) but for some odd reason, no more audio. Somehow I'm able to get channel 10 (a drumkit) to play ok, but past channel 1, I can't get any more audio. I've tried changing the patch on the module itself, I tried it from the track's program box (I have the midnam file for the 5050) and I even tried triggering the note on the piano roll on the track. Midi signal is there, but no audio, only on channel 1.

I've checked every setting I could on the 5050, checked my Midi setup in PT, all is good and normal. Of course, Midi thru is selected as well.

Any help would be great!

Thanks...
Old 04-01-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Unusual midi problem?

I'd bet the problem is with the 5050 - are you sure you've got a multi-patch pulled up that is enabled to receive on all 16 channels? There should be a way to create an init patch, which will revert everything to a default setting - a lot of times the pre-loaded multis on synths are setup as layers on one channel instead of multi-channel multi-timberal mode so you won't get it to respond to anything other than channel 1.

Also, If I remember right, the 5050 can also assign different channels to different outputs, so make sure all MIDI channels are set to output on your main stereo pair.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:20 AM

Thanks Slim,

I actually did a System Reset on the 5050 last night and didn't help. Not only that, but all of a sudden there seems to be even more icky reverb on the patches than there were before....sigh.
I also looked for the setting where perhaps different midi channels send to different outputs but didn't find it. I downloaded the QuickStart guide and nothing in there helped either. I'll keep trying, I gotta get this working soon!
Old 04-04-2005, 03:40 PM

Hey PK-
I have an XV-5050 too. Now I didn't have the same trouble as you so I don't know if this will help. I found a help file online to set up the 5050 for 16 channel sequencing. There are templates in the 5050 that will automatically set it up properly. Press 'Perform' and then use the cursor or value dial to pull up one of the sequencer templates (I'm using PA:001 Seq:Template). Just leave the 5050 set to that. That got me going quite well although some of the middle channels (around 5 to 8) are adding this delay that I haven't figured out how to get rid of, but that's for another post...

best of luck - hope it helps.

Tommy
PT 7.4
002R/Command|8
Old 04-04-2005, 05:19 PM

Thanks, I'll try that, but it leads me to assume you're changing your patches from the tracks program box, while leaving that template on the module, correct?
Old 04-04-2005, 05:56 PM

yes. doing it all in PT
PT 7.4
002R/Command|8
Old 04-04-2005, 11:17 PM

1ton,

that actually worked! Man, thanks a lot. Thing is, it was receiving midi on all channels no problem, it's the audio that wouldn't pipe beyond channel 1. I'm using PA:001 and it'll probably stay that way on the module forever.

That said, some new weird thing is happening. Seems that all the patches I'm testing have this tremolo/vibrato thing happening, all the strings, basses, pianos, etc...I've even reset my controller and the modulation wheel is all the way down, it's the damnest thing, go figure...

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-05-2005, 10:22 AM

hey - no problem! I'm usually the one asking for help so it's a good feeling to be able to help out someone else once in a while!

Peace,
Tommy
PT 7.4
002R/Command|8