Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2015, 06:46 AM

Default Pro Tools 12 with Steinberg UR44

Hi Folks,

I am new here so please be kind :P

One fast question cause I am buying PT today and I need to know if PT 12 is compatible with Steinberg UR44? Has anyone tried it?

Best,
Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 with Steinberg UR44

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazanjuve View Post
Hi Folks,

I am new here so please be kind :P

One fast question cause I am buying PT today and I need to know if PT 12 is compatible with Steinberg UR44? Has anyone tried it?

Best,
Hello and Welcome to the Community

Using a UR44 should not be any problems according to the internet and Steinbergs website /

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/...pport_daw.html

Make sure your operating system is compatible and that you install the latest drivers from Steinberg. Read the manual carefully and you should be OK /

https://www.steinberg.net/en/product...dels/ur44.html

Let us know how you get on and if you run into any problems.

Also make sure you have your 3rd party plugins in AAX64 bit format as VST / AU / RTAS and other formats won't work in Pro Tools 11/12. Again read up on the internet about this and as much you can find on the UR44 itself

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-12-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hello and Welcome to the Community

Using a UR44 should not be any problems according to the internet and Steinbergs website /

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/...pport_daw.html

Make sure your operating system is compatible and that you install the latest drivers from Steinberg. Read the manual carefully and you should be OK /

https://www.steinberg.net/en/product...dels/ur44.html

Let us know how you get on and if you run into any problems.

Also make sure you have your 3rd party plugins in AAX64 bit format as VST / AU / RTAS and other formats won't work in Pro Tools 11/12. Again read up on the internet about this and as much you can find on the UR44 itself
Thanks a lot. I will get PT 12 and hope it works with Steinberg UR44.

Do you have any advise on which drivers exactly to install before starting? other than the typical UR44 MAC driver?

If you have any info on mind that I may need to do proper set up please write it here as it will help me so much. :)

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Did you find that Protools doesn't take sole possession of the UR44? I find that I get output from the headphone jack of the UR44 with 2 signals - one from Protools and the other direct from what is plugged into the UR44. It works fine with Cubase though. I've been unable to solve this problem.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:49 PM

Pro Tools works perfectly with the UR 44 here. I'm watching a YouTube tutorial while plying back and learning Pro Tools as we speak.

Go for it!
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 12-12-2017, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. One question - if you plug a guitar into one of the ur44 inputs, then fire up protools without have a track record enabled, do you still hear the guitar? I do and I haven't found a way to stop the output from the ur44 headphones.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klowdon View Post
Thanks for the reply. One question - if you plug a guitar into one of the ur44 inputs, then fire up protools without have a track record enabled, do you still hear the guitar? I do and I haven't found a way to stop the output from the ur44 headphones.
Yes! Definitely! I just had PT playing a project, while listening to something on the internet, on the computer, while simultaneously playing audio from a YouTube video via an iPad, through inputs 1&2 on the UR44.

Be sure to set the UR44 as the default audio device on the system.

Regarding the headphone output, I’m not sure if I understand you correctly, but, try turning the volume knob down.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 12-13-2017, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the taking the time to reply. Sorry but I think I am not being clear enough. When I am recording or playing back I want all of the sound to be controlled by Protools. If I select an input I want to know that what I selected is what is going to the track. Currently anything plugged into the UR44 is always heard through the headphone jack regardless of what is done in protools. I want to use the headphone jack for monitoring protools.

When I use the UR44 with Cubase it stops the output and Cubase controls the sound - which is normal and is how my old Protools system used to work. I suspect your system may be doing the same thing but am not sure. Could you check?

If you have an instrument plugged into the UR44 and fire up protools does it cut the sound from the instrument (ie you do not have sound from that instrument until you create a track and select the instrument input)? If so, my problem is unique and not an issue with Protools compatibility with the UR44.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 12-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Is there not a software mixer included/involved here? One which is tightly integrated with Cubase, but not Pro Tools? What interface did you have before? If it was from Avid, their interfaces are tightly integrated with Pro Tools, but not other DAWs.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-27-2018, 07:37 PM

Default Houston We Have a Problem....Pro Tools 2018 with Steinberg UR44 Recordings To Low

Whats happening music heads...2 months with this issue.

I'm currently 12 years in with Pro Tools, but I can't figure this problem out.

So, when I record it sounds good, but then the playback sounds to low and I have to turn the fader way up, but when I do it starts to peak out just a little above (0) and that's un-usual. Then, I lower the range on the interface/preamp, but then the playback is to low. At this point I'm just fighting myself. I've tried recording even with compression active, but even compression is having a hard time bringing up the sound. It sounds muffled, or like this to much treble, or like your talking to someone through a wall.

The UR-44 does a software screen that controls the DSP, and sample rate, but I've never really used it because PT does all that as well. I usually set any effects to off and use the PT plugins but I'm wondering if this could be part of the problem. The sample rates on PT and Steinberg are always the same and I really thought this was an issue as well. I'm wondering if the amp itself is going bad and not pumping the power I need?

Or could it be the interface itself it's 3 years old. I know when I had the starter kit m-box after a while the monitor volume would cause the monitors to pop or distort whether I was lowering or turning up the volume and the steinberg unit just starting doing this.

If anybody could provide me with any info that would be great especially because I'm thinking about buying another interface.

-All of my optimizations are set as recommended.
-Pro Tools troubleshooted recently but did not resolve issue.
-Firmware\Version on UR-44 are current.
-Steinberg so far has been really unhelpful.

Thank you,

Pro Tools 2018, Bx5a monitors, C-214 akg mic, impulse 49 control board, Steingberg UR-44 sound interface, Acer i7 4770 quad core, windows 8, 64 bit, 3.40 ghz, 12G Ram, 12G Hard drive, 1TB external HD Seagate.[/FONT]

I Rock for Jesus!

Last edited by LyricoEnginuity; 02-27-2018 at 07:49 PM.