Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-18-2003, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Filmsound-Question, noisy 16mm-Cam...??

some of these intelligent noise-reduction plugins can be a BIG help provided you have some seconds of the cam running without any other sound.

The waves X-noise works like this. You present the plugin with a sample of the noise to be removed. The plugin builts a profile of it, and then you can remove the sound compeletely, or push it back so far its not annoying anymore. I had to remove a truck-engine once, and it really worked well.

Bastiaan
Old 07-18-2003, 06:04 PM

I don't think noise reduction will help you much here. The percussive and very transient nature of a clacking 16mm cam isn't really broadband enough to remove without compromising your audio too much.

Now of course you recorded plenty of room tone during the shoot right? I'd be tempted to just ADR the dialog and mix it with the room tone to put the dialog back in the space.

You should also checkout Vocalign by SynchroArts you can then use it to align your ADR'd part to the live noisy dialog track so your lip sync should be pretty damn close [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 07-19-2003, 12:33 AM

Default Filmsound-Question, noisy 16mm-Cam...??

i made filmsound for a film which was shot with a 16mm camera. scenes in a room are hell with that cam... I tried to isolate the cam... micposition... making a phasereverse track... but only hard eq´ing did the job with some notch-filters and so on...

any suggestions??
thx
Old 07-19-2003, 02:46 AM

thanks a lot!!

some more??
Old 07-19-2003, 02:49 AM

I agree with Marcus on this one. I once had to deal with an old Ariflex 16mm (without the blimp of course.. ).

In the end I redid all the dialog and used some wilds and room tone from the rooms plus did foleys for all the movements. I really recommend vocalign for doing the ADR, it makes lipsyncing the new dialog takes so much easier.

All the best and hope this helps!

Espen
Old 07-19-2003, 03:16 AM

Hi

While I agree that for the cleanest possible result ADR is the solution, I think that if you want to keep the actors performance, espcially if it was a good one, you should try a combination of noise reduction and notch-EQ: I completely removed from an otherwise unusable track the noise of a vent fan that was underneath an open window (tht the director refused to close during shooting), and that couldn't be turned off, all of this in a 1789 costume-based movie: I used the DINR plug-in from Digi (but I find that even if you can't edit the noise profile, X-Noise from Waves has fewer if any side effects) and super narrow notch filtering with the Q-10 also from Waves, that allowed me to precisely zone in on the key frequencies and suck them out without altering the surrounding too much; result: you can clearly listen to the room tone and the actor's moves (there wasn't any dialog in the shot) without the background noise; the absence of dialog would've called for a foley session and there wasn't the money and the availability for such a thing, so...

I hope this helps.

L.G.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:12 PM

thanks guys!

vocalign and DINR seem to be to be a very cool thing!! but it´s not cheap!!

a friend of mine, which uses WAVES Restoration tried to help me out... but i think, that the Noise-reduction-thing added some reverb and metalic sound to it.... seems that you have to spent very much time on it to understand how it works...

how ever, DV Toolkit is a big deal because of DINR and VocAlign....

THX!! hope i´ll get the 900€ for it... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 06:11 PM

Hi.

You can download a fully-functioning 14-day demo of vocalign from syncro arts. Check it out!

Espen