Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 AM

Default Re: PT8 on a 64 bit system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
Well, others will disagree with me when I say this but I do believe the MAC platform has less issues even now than Windows does - when it comes to music creation.

MAC has always been regarded as the better choice for doing anything musical - but I am still hoping that Windows 7 turns out to be the destroyer of that assumption.

I agree to a point, I use both all the time, and what I see is; if one is buying an off-the-shelf computer for DAW use, a Mac will be a more trouble free choice. If though you build your own PC with proven components and a clean OS (no bloat-ware) you can be on every bit the stable and powerful ground you are wishing for with Windows.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-11-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytouche View Post
Yeah, using XP in the meantime seems like the ultimate solution. It sounds like that would allow me to get a great new system and have it ready for the 64-bit compatibility updates.
Even though I have W7/64 with 8.0.4b running well I don't recommend it, it is very component specific, some combinations will work and others will not. This extends from Firewire controllers to RAM to drives and on. XP32 PT 8.0.1cs1 is the most stable setup in this current PT8 era.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-11-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Even though I have W7/64 with 8.0.4b running well I don't recommend it, it is very component specific, some combinations will work and others will not. This extends from Firewire controllers to RAM to drives and on. XP32 PT 8.0.1cs1 is the most stable setup in this current PT8 era.
Tom - are the problems with PT8 running in W7 32 or 64bit mainly related to MIDI/Intrument tracks?

If one was to create a session comprised entirely of Audio tracks, is it more likely to run ok ?

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I agree to a point, I use both all the time, and what I see is; if one is buying an off-the-shelf computer for DAW use, a Mac will be a more trouble free choice. If though you build your own PC with proven components and a clean OS (no bloat-ware) you can be on every bit the stable and powerful ground you are wishing for with Windows.
I just finished reading and watching the video on the Digidesign website about the use of Pro Tools HD for the soundtrack in Avatar.

Setting aside for the moment that HD with all it's bells and wistles is the obvious PT to use, the mere fact that they would only go MAC would surely be proof that the reputation of using MACs for music is still very much the case.

But again, I still hope that Windows 7 will one day attain just as much notoriety.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:15 PM

My friends in studios that dwarf mine do use Macs. They say it's for two reasons. 1) no down time fiddling with unknown components. 2) The client base is more comfortable with high priced computers when paying $200. an hour for studio time. And let's not forget, the price of a Mac is nothing in a high-end studio. And I do have a Mac, I have nothing against them at all other than the price.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-11-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
And let's not forget, the price of a Mac is nothing in a high-end studio.
Aint that the truth!

Assuming you've watched the video I mentioned earlier - did you see the utterly staggering amount of 192's stacked up ?!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 AM

Although I am not a Mac, keep in mind this. You are comfortable with a Mac. And you should look at the overall cost, and getting what you NEED, for what you can AFFORD. A new PC, with all the components that work with PT, as well as any OS costs assuming you need to buy XP, or whatever, and don't forget firewire compatibility. Check the Mac Mini for the stuff you need. It all comes down to compatibility and usability. Mac's use high end components. And Building your own PC to match the quality and performance will probably run you the same price.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Although I am not a Mac, keep in mind this. You are comfortable with a Mac. And you should look at the overall cost, and getting what you NEED, for what you can AFFORD. A new PC, with all the components that work with PT, as well as any OS costs assuming you need to buy XP, or whatever, and don't forget firewire compatibility. Check the Mac Mini for the stuff you need. It all comes down to compatibility and usability. Mac's use high end components. And Building your own PC to match the quality and performance will probably run you the same price.
You can easily beat the performance/cost ratio with a well built PC. You just need to do it right.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-13-2010, 03:32 PM

Very true, but you can't argue that to a Mac
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 PM

Hey guys based on my PC specs below, do you think my laptop should be PT compatible? All i get is DAE -6006 errors, even after buying the SIIG 2-port FireWire express card with the TI chipset. Long story...check out my thread titled "DAE 6006 Error". Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to find out if my laptop is capable of running PT, otherwise i'm seriously considering a MAC!
Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 @2.00 Ghz
2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM)
ATI Radeon X1400 dedicated graphics card
FireWire: Onboard RICOH IEEE 1394 Controller
SIIG FireWire 2-Port Express Card (NN-EC2012-S1)
Pro Tools M-Powered 8.03
M-Audio Profire 2626
Axiom 49