Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Any bug-fixes in 7.4?!

So since we are supposed to pay for 7.4 now. Are ANY of the bugs fixed AT ALL that have been around since PT7.2 and longer?

Just to mention a few:

- AS-dither can´t be turned off (around since 7.2)
-When cross-fading muted regions the fades unmute (bug since PT5.0 or 5.1)
-When fading region-groups that contain muted regions, the muted regions in that group unmute. (bug since the invention of region-groups)
-Complex region groups lead to system lockups when they are edited (bug since the invention of region-groups)
-"Expand tracks" and "match" not working like it should in all sorts of weird ways (see various therads here)
-Sounds found with the search function in the "import audio" window can neither be selected nor imported.
- Digidelivery doesn´t support sessionformats beyond 6.9.
-Import session-data with consolidate does not work. You always get full handles.

frank.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Any bug-fixes in 7.4?!

Not sure about the bug fixes but I don't like the look of this

Film Music and Post Production
If you are scoring a film scene, use Elastic Audio
to fit the music to the required duration. You
can even use tempo changes to achieve accelerandi
and ritardandi. If you are doing post production,
use Elastic Audio to adjust for pull-up
or pull-down factors.

Have they removed Audio Rate PullUp/Down from the Session setup window?? That would be a pretty horrible situation if they have

C
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 AM

answered my own question

will read the full manual next time!!

C

PS/ no they haven't taken it away
Old 11-08-2007, 04:12 AM

Frank

There are apparently some new preferences relating to fades which could mean that they've been looking at other issues regarding fades too so you may be lucky on that count.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Frank

There are apparently some new preferences relating to fades which could mean that they've been looking at other issues regarding fades too so you may be lucky on that count.
Those only relate to REX-files. Nothing new for audio.

Finally the browser has volume control! And stereo-technique has come to PT. One can preview .R .L files in the browser. Any more than stereo is inpossible however.

frank.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Avid

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Frank

Finally the browser has volume control! And stereo-technique has come to PT. One can preview .R .L files in the browser. Any more than stereo is inpossible however.

frank.
Actually you can preview surround files ( i.e. .L, .C, .R, etc ) together if you like. You need to make sure your "audition path" which is declared in I/O setups is a surround format. This setup makes sense if you have surround speakers and have any interest of previewing things in surround. Otherwise you're better off leaving it as a stereo audition path.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Actually you can preview surround files ( i.e. .L, .C, .R, etc ) together if you like. You need to make sure your "audition path" which is declared in I/O setups is a surround format. This setup makes sense if you have surround speakers and have any interest of previewing things in surround. Otherwise you're better off leaving it as a stereo audition path.
That sounds cool. The "what´s new" manual only mentioned .L/.R pairs. Thanks for the additional info.

frank.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Avid

Quote:
So since we are supposed to pay for 7.4 now. Are ANY of the bugs fixed AT ALL that have been around since PT7.2 and longer?

Just to mention a few:

-When fading region-groups that contain muted regions, the muted regions in that group unmute. (bug since the invention of region-groups)
-Complex region groups lead to system lockups when they are edited (bug since the invention of region-groups)
-"Expand tracks" and "match" not working like it should in all sorts of weird ways (see various therads here)
-Sounds found with the search function in the "import audio" window can neither be selected nor imported.
-Import session-data with consolidate does not work. You always get full handles.

frank.
I'll answer these in order:

1. Yes, this has been fixed.
2. Yes (cross-fading muted regions)
3. Yes (fading region groups)
4. Yes (complex region groups)
5. You'll have to be more specific on this one - depending on which particular aspect, they may or may not be fixed. Most bugs related to expand tracks and match have been fixed, from what I can see...
6. This has not been fixed - there are some serious hurdles to this due to the switch back and forth from Spotlight.
7. I'm assuming you're referring to dragging and dropping a session file onto DigiDelivery, yes? If so, no that has not been fixed - and I'm not sure what may happen with that. You may want to contact Aspera to see if they might have input. The 'Send Via DigiDelivery' from within Pro Tools should always work properly.
8. This has been fixed from what I can see.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:53 AM

Thanks for many yes's.

Also was this feature is back now (from PT 6.X):
Moving volume atomation points with Control or Command will enable movement for one axis only (vertical only or horizontal only). I really miss this function.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Just to mention a few:

frank.
I'll answer these in order:

1. Yes, this has been fixed.
2. Yes (cross-fading muted regions)
3. Yes (fading region groups)
4. Yes (complex region groups)
5. You'll have to be more specific on this one - depending on which particular aspect, they may or may not be fixed. Most bugs related to expand tracks and match have been fixed, from what I can see...
6. This has not been fixed - there are some serious hurdles to this due to the switch back and forth from Spotlight.
7. I'm assuming you're referring to dragging and dropping a session file onto DigiDelivery, yes? If so, no that has not been fixed - and I'm not sure what may happen with that. You may want to contact Aspera to see if they might have input. The 'Send Via DigiDelivery' from within Pro Tools should always work properly.
8. This has been fixed from what I can see.

Hope that helps!
Wow, thanks for that. Off to the DigiStore I go....

Especially for 4) and 5). I´m having trouble on my current project and a test with my upcoming project also fails to match an AVID AAF with the original Deva-recordings although great has been taken in pre-production to preserve ALL meta-data etc.
The speciffic problem is that the AVID doesn´t seem to injest the iXML "sound roll" tag that PT seems to need to match the clips. When entering them by hand in the browser it works, but this is obviously no workaround when you have about 70 shooting days of production sound.
Avid is a 2.75 Adrelaline, DNXcell.
Transfer was done using AAF (no more OMF available in this version). Avid media was copied over from the AVID so it is identical to the avid-media. Nothing was transferred throught other programs.
I think PT needs some option so you can chose what fields are used to do the matching. At the moment it either works or not with all guessing left to the user and almost no options to change something. The "sound roll" field seems to be the only one that the user can manipulate and there´s no option to batch-enter a sound roll number to all selected items.

I´ll try 7.4 and see how far I get.

Many thanks for the other bug-fixes!

Frank.