Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Default News from the "Build" developer's conference. Win9 developer's platform based on...

A Microsoft executive has told The Seattle Times that, "Windows 8 will include new applications that use a new developer platform based on HTML5 and JavaScript."

The Times pointed out, "The problem is that Windows developers have spent years learning other programming platforms, such as Silverlight, Win32 and .NET."

Microsoft is moving toward a "unified ecosystem" wherein different devices will run the same OS; phones, tablets, and desktops/laptops.

Microsoft also states that, "It is expected* that computers that run Windows 7 will also be able to run Windows 8. Microsoft will likely release more information about the compatibility of specific programs as Windows 8 develops."

Would someone at Avid give some early insight into the implications of all this? Could such an overtly consumer oriented approach hamper DAW development in general on the Win8 platform? I am aware that Win8 is in still in development but, clearly, people are already talking and asking questions that imply possible development issues.

Could the overall emphasis on "devices" within Apple and MS lead to Linux being a more favorable development platform for DAW deployment in general (yet another OS to learn)?

Could all this be the reason behind Avid holding back on 64 bit development?

What does Avid have to say?

Thanks for any insight,

Mick Davies
www.imdb.me/mickdavies

*italics are mine
Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Default Re: News from the "Build" developer's conference. Win9 developer's platform based on.

DigiTechSupt: The bla bla bla 64bit bla bla bla bla bla, etcetera development, bla bla bla and bla.
Bla blaa bla, blablabla, bla bla issues bla bla bla, blablubliblu, bla bla windows 8..........
Furthermore, bla bla bla and bla, bla bla bla bla bla DAW bla bla.

Sorrry, i got a sudden urge, please dont be mad
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Re: News from the "Build" developer's conference. Win9 developer's platform based on.

Why bother? You really have nothing better to do? It's a waste of the site's bandwidth and a waste of people's time checking back for a reply. Grow up and deal with your "urges" like the rest of the adult world. Go make some music for goodness sake.

Mick Davies
www.imdb.me/mickdavies
Old 09-12-2011, 08:41 PM

Apple is morphing the iPod OS to its computers, while Windows is taking its PC OS natively to small devices. Will be interesting to see how these things develop.

ProTools 10 on my smartphone?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Just because they add enhanced HTML5 and Javascript support doesn't mean that any and all other technologies are obsoleted. I'm reading it as an enhancement. I doubt that anyone is going to code a DAW in HTML or Java.

It will be interesting. Some versions of Win8 will support ARM. This will happen right about the time that Intel shrinks x86 enough to potentially be a viable contender in the smart phone and mobile device space. It will also be interesting to see what happens to Android with Windows running on ARM. And lets not under estimate the attraction to run your favorite desktop software on something like a tablet. The application may not be optimised but just being able to run it is a huge bonus. Also from everything I have read Windows Metro is a great interface.

But I don't see HTML5 and Javascript replacing some core Windows programming technologies any time soon though.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optofonik View Post
Could all this be the reason behind Avid holding back on 64 bit development?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Just because they add enhanced HTML5 and Javascript support doesn't mean that any and all other technologies are obsoleted. I'm reading it as an enhancement. I doubt that anyone is going to code a DAW in HTML or Java.

It will be interesting. Some versions of Win8 will support ARM. This will happen right about the time that Intel shrinks x86 enough to potentially be a viable contender in the smart phone and mobile device space. It will also be interesting to see what happens to Android with Windows running on ARM. And lets not under estimate the attraction to run your favorite desktop software on something like a tablet. The application may not be optimised but just being able to run it is a huge bonus. Also from everything I have read Windows Metro is a great interface.

But I don't see HTML5 and Javascript replacing some core Windows programming technologies any time soon though.
With that said, I'm not sure how Win8 would delay development of PT 64 bit. Win7 and OS X are already 64 bit. If Win8 turns out to be a nightmare, then most will stay on the previous version like we did with Vistink.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 AM

Spenner, I stayed on XP till recently so Its not like I can't stick with Win7 for the next ten years. The only reason I moved was for the increased RAM.

Sunburst, there's a JAVA DAW here, http://www.midiworks.nl/. It's clearly an experiement but who knows what it will develop into.

As far as DAWs on smart phones there is a point of, dare I say it, diminishing returns to smaller and smaller form factors beyond the novelty.

So we wait and see, then. No official response but that's to be expected, I guess.

Mick Davies
www.imdb.me/mickdavies
Old 09-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Spenner, I stayed on XP till recently so Its not like I can't stick with Win7 for the next ten years. The only reason I moved was for the increased RAM.
Same here. And now Win7 64 bit is just as stable for me as XP was. Microsoft will work tirelessly to keep their release a new OS every 3 years pledge. I'm guessing that (with Vistink out of the way and going with Win7 that's proved to work well) Win8, 9, etc, will be mostly what Sunburst pointed out.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Sunburst, there's a JAVA DAW here, http://www.midiworks.nl/. It's clearly an experiement but who knows what it will develop into.

As far as DAWs on smart phones there is a point of, dare I say it, diminishing returns to smaller and smaller form factors beyond the novelty.

So we wait and see, then. No official response but that's to be expected, I guess.

Mick Davies
www.imdb.me/mickdavies
Theres web browser based DAW out there somewhere too. I was pointing out that its unlikely that Avid, Apple, Steinberg, Cakewalk etc are going to switch from their traditional programing models to HTML5 or Java. At least not for their core products. The mention of x86 shrinking into the MID arena was in response to Bobby Dazzlers post about the convergence of IOS and OSX. Just because you could run a DAW on a phone at some future point doesn't mean that its something you would want to do. However adding enhanced HTML5 and Java support to Win8 could make porting mobile apps to the desktop or exchanging information between devices and applications much easier. Adding enhanced support is better than adding yet more proprietary API's

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-14-2011, 04:02 PM

I think iZotope RX2 standalone would be fantastic on an iPad when you are doing spectral repairs. (Probably can do it as a remote screen currently anyway)