Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 10-07-2008, 02:00 PM

Default midi and roland fantom x6

I have tried many way trying to get Pro Tools to record MIDI from my roland fantom. I googled and tried many sites suggestions. I know you will probably need more information from me but how do I get pro tools to record the midi. I watched the DVD and they had info how to do MIDI but it mostly showed how to use a MIDI decide that was a plug in. I am pretty familiar with computers and pro tools so let me know if you need more info.

On the keyboard they system setting

sync/tempo

is on slave-midi
sync output - on
tempo override off

and the mmc/mtc

mmc mode - master
mmc output on
mtc sync output

My midi OUT from the keyboard is plugged to midi IN on the mbox, and the midi OUT on the mbox goes to the midi in on the fantom.

I have made one audio stereo track and also a midi track.

here is a picture
http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?i...8282908dm0.png
Old 10-07-2008, 03:48 PM

Default Re: midi and roland fantom x6

Neither one of those tracks is record enabled... in this case they would both need to be.

Have you already recorded the MIDI on the Fantom? Are you trying to sync the two together? Why don't you just use an instrument track and listen to the audio virtually?

Quote:
I am pretty familiar with computers and pro tools
I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing that with the questions that you are asking.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-07-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
Neither one of those tracks is record enabled... in this case they would both need to be.

Have you already recorded the MIDI on the Fantom? Are you trying to sync the two together? Why don't you just use an instrument track and listen to the audio virtually?

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing that with the questions that you are asking.
Ive worked with it plenty times just never with midi. Im not an idiot at the time they were record enabled. I didn't record the midi on the fantom that is why I am asking this question, if I did it with the fantom i would of just recorded it as an audio track.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Avid

When you record enable the MIDI track - do you see input on the track?

If not, try setting the input on that track to 'All' and test again - do you see input then?

Are you on Mac or PC? Do you have MIDI input devices enabled for the Fantom? Is MIDI Thru checked?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
When you record enable the MIDI track - do you see input on the track?

If not, try setting the input on that track to 'All' and test again - do you see input then?

Are you on Mac or PC? Do you have MIDI input devices enabled for the Fantom? Is MIDI Thru checked?
When i record enable the midi track i do not see any input on the track.

I also tried to put 'all' and it didnt work. The midi thru is checked

Under MIDI studio set up does thethe Send and Receive channels matter? They are all blue.

also i dont know if it matters i am using mbox2 with the usb to computer.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 PM

Ok i got the pro tools to play sounds on the midi track when i press the keys on the midi track in pro tools but when i press the keys on the key board i get only input from my Aux track and no midi.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Check to make sure that the "Remote Keyboard SW" is set to OFF on the fantom.

Since you aren't connecting the Fantom via USB, set the USB mode on the fantom to "Storage".

Is the fantom in patch mode or performance mode?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 10-08-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
Check to make sure that the "Remote Keyboard SW" is set to OFF on the fantom.

Since you aren't connecting the Fantom via USB, set the USB mode on the fantom to "Storage".

Is the fantom in patch mode or performance mode?
thank you so much the storage helped me!

now my only question is how to i have each track have a sound. When i change the sound on the next track the last tracks sound also changes.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:44 AM

No offense is intended here, but I really think you should spend some time with the manuals for both products and learn a bit more about what you are doing.

I don't even own a Fantom; I got the solution to your problem in less than 5 minutes from the manual available at the Roland website!

If you spend some more time educating yourself about the products you are trying to use, you may have an easier time with it.

To point you in the right direction for solving your current problem, it sounds like the MIDI outputs on your separate tracks might need to be set to specific MIDI channels.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmywrx View Post
thank you so much the storage helped me!

now my only question is how to i have each track have a sound. When i change the sound on the next track the last tracks sound also changes.
Patches first have to be loaded into a performance AND saved as a performance before you can assign midi 1 through 16 from Pro Tools.