How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 06-25-2020, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Folder Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwaidu View Post
Apparently this is not a bug, but a design decision. A very bad design IMHO - I understand that in "volume" view we need to be able to edit the volume automation, but clip gain shortcuts don't do anything for an aux track (what it essentially is), so they should always be passed to the child tracks/contents of the folder, no matter what view the folder track is in.
One more consideration about why this is a very bad design (that Routing Folders don't pass Clip Gain shortcuts to their child tracks, unless the folder is in Overview mode) that acts to user expectations like a bug: Clip Gain shortcuts are always passed on to Clips on Audio Tracks, even if the track is in some automation view (volume etc). A Folder track should behave exactly the same.
Windows 11 22H2, Intel i9-14900K, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2023.9

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:59 AM

Not sure if it's me being stupid but it seems that there's no way to de-select the tracks within a routing folder - if you select the routing folder track and want to copy its automation only and not its tracks within, there's no clear way to do that.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:06 AM

This is a small thing, but I'm finding this down arrow on folder tracks annoying:

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1595775952

It should really be pointing to the right when the folder's closed, and pointing down when the folder's open. And you should be able to click it to open it and close it.

I know this creates issues with the GUI as the down arrow is actually indicating a submenu you can access, I just think it's really confusing as it stands.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 15.55.30.png (7.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:56 AM

Also, toggle zoom on a folder should open the folder as well. Maybe this is controversial? But just making the overview of a folder bigger and smaller is pretty useless. I want to zoom into the folder, and then back out again.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:04 AM

In my opinion, "show all tracks" should SHOW ALL TRACKS, including folders that are closed. Otherwise you're just showing "some" tracks.

Also, "show inactive tracks" is really confusing. In the old days I'd "show inactive tracks", select top to bottom, and delete those tracks. Now, because folders are also shown, when I delete top to bottom I end up deleting active tracks that are within the folder that aren't even being shown. It's really confusing.

I think I'm the only person left on this thread now aren't I.

Last edited by midnightrambler; 08-25-2020 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post

You are not alone! I agree with all your suggestions, I hope someone at avid reads and considers them.

More than the organizational aspect, I really like the solo logic used for routing folders and their tracks and really wish this could be used with auxes too.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
In my opinion, "show all tracks" should SHOW ALL TRACKS, including folders that are closed. Otherwise you're just showing "some" tracks.

Also, "show inactive tracks" is really confusing. In the old days I'd "show inactive tracks", select top to bottom, and delete those tracks. Now, because folders are also shown, when I delete top to bottom I end up deleting active tracks that are within the folder that aren't even being shown. It's really confusing.

MNR

Nope, I still check in. But really, it was such a simple feature to get right. I mean it just needed to be useable. Not being able to change views during recording is a BUG to me.

Had really hoped for a quick fix so folder tracks could be used - you only have to be tracking once and not be able to view a track without stopping to not use folder tracks again.

Instead we got Ableton Link. I come to this forum regularly. I have never heard anyone request Ableton link (could be wrong ?). I mean really ? How many PT users want to be able to connect an App from their iPad into PT ?

The new (useful) feature list for 2020 is very short. YMMV. IMHO.

87 days to go.

ejinbc.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:27 AM

Yeah I'm not sure which focus group told them Ableton link was a sure fire winner.

On the whole I am finding my working practices are evolving to incorporate folder tracks more and more, which may be the same for others on here?

A folder with a combined VCA fader would be an amazing addition though.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:26 AM

I was thinking about this the other day! Track folders are a great feature and on the whole are smartly implemented. This thread describes many small improvements that could do wonders for workflow. A little refinement and iteration would make all the difference.

For some reason I really expected to see some additional work put into what I see as the biggest UI change to the app in years. As usual, expecting anything is folly.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:57 AM

I'll chime in again. Clip bin reformation would be insane, and properly implimented, nothing could touch it......ive offered free consulting services on many occassions, offer still open....