Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-30-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Midi TimeCode instable only on Windows PC !!!

Since 2 month I switched to a DualCore Athlon64 4800+ on an ASUS Board and found it a challenge to make it run like a MAC. As you all know - it's easier on a Mac, but the other way its more fun (I do better on a Mac till now). Here is a Problem I have on PT7 LE with my Digi002 on the WIN machine: MTC Out only gives a short burst of TC, then it stops sending timecode. I slave a second computer (MAC) with VirtualVTR for video as in Trim-Mode QuicktimeMovies on the local PT-Machine stop while trimming (I have this on Windows, on MAC I did not chek yet). With MTC and MidiMachineControl send to the Video-Slave the picture will move as you trim - very useful for film-soundedit. I know that my setup is fine as with my Powerbook and PT7 everythin is great and VirtualVTR slaves to MTC like it should. I checked everything in the settings on my Wintel but could not find a mistake. I put MTC out to a METER to see what happens: With WinXP it gives a short burst of less than a second, then its quiet. On OSX it gives a constant TC-Stream and its all fine. If somebody had a similar experience let me know. I wonder if its only me as I did not find the problem described here in the conference. I will try the latest cs update tomorrow. Perhaps that will make it.

Cheers - Jan
Old 12-30-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Midi TimeCode instable only on Windows PC !!!

prehaps a problem with the windows driver of your MIDI interface
what interface are you using?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:42 AM

I use the Midi-Out of Digi002, no other interface. In Session-Setup MTC is send to this Output. There is a WindowsXP Midi-Port (Session Setup shows this) that I will try to uninstall. Maybe that helps. Thank you for your reply.

Jan
Old 01-03-2006, 04:34 AM

It should work with any midi output port, i even use the standard roland MPU-401 ( true the joystick port ).

Like I replied in your other post I do the exact same thing you want to but i don't have VVTR cause it's not bl**dy available for windows ;-), I use ( don't laugh) adobe audition to slave my video to MTC. But as you say you don't have any outgoing MTC the problem has to be on your master pc. Are you shure all settings are correct ? Did you try enable DVToolkit ? ( try it with the demo ). What language version of PT you have ?

Cheers
Bossi
Old 01-08-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
But as you say you don't have any outgoing MTC the problem has to be on your master pc. Are you shure all settings are correct ? Did you try enable DVToolkit ? ( try it with the demo ). What language version of PT you have ?
First of all thank you for your answer Bossi.

I did not say I don`t have any outgoing MTC. I sayd I only have a short burst of MTC that stops after one second. The video starts playing on the slaved machine and stops like the MTC. MidiMachineControl MMC is just fine. It locates the video to the position I jump or scrub or trim - that is perfect. But playback no way. I also installed DV Toolkit - no change. The Version of PT is English my XP is German.

Meanwhile I believe I need to reinstall my system. I also installed Avid Xpress on the same computer and Adobe Premier Elements. So I`m not sure if those programs interfere with the MIDI-comunication of my DIGI002 and PT7. But let me know a litttle more about Adobe Audition. How it slaves video to PT? What quality are the denoising features? I need to remove Arri 16SR camera-noise from movie sound. I only found CEDAR (Hardware) to do a good job. Have you got a less expensive solution?

Looking forward hearing from you.

Thanks again - Jan
Old 01-09-2006, 06:13 AM

Hi Jan

Here is my post on the M-Powered forum: http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#938583

Sounds like we have the same (or very similar) problem.

Alex
Old 01-09-2006, 10:23 AM

Hi Jan,
For starters, the only thing i do to get MTC out is click the MTC box in Session setup windows ( crtl+2) under time code settings,and assign a midi output port. In the peripherals tab I leave evreything blank ( you can assign the MMC to the MTC port but it doesn't really change something )

I noticed sometimes midi out ( and in )'drivers' in protools don't boot correctly. Then i can't get any in or out from it ( normally after 1st time i launch PT, just close project and quit PT, then start again and it should be fixed ). Maybe try that.

Also it was a know problem with 6.7( it sounds ridicilous i know )that the midi out didn't work with some other language beside the win xp english version. There were some cs updates for it but they never worked for me ( i got myself an english copy of xp, and all midi trbls where fixed ) I don't know if this is still the case for PT7 as i'm on an english version now ).

About reinstalling your system, i run Avid Xpress pro, Adobe Premiere and After FX on it too without a problem at all. ( except that avid won't recognize my 002 ). I you choose to reinstall it anyway, then try to get an english version of xp.

I think i'm out of clues now ;-)

About Adobe Audition, i don't use it to proces audio ! i just use it like Virtual VTR on old pc i have. Just import movie and assign midi input port and slave it to MTC with F7 button. I don't know about it's denoising features but waves has some good denoising plugins for protools.
The best way to remove the Arri 16SR noise is sending it to Arri to put in new rollers ( cheaper then Cedar producs anyway ) ;-p those old ones are so bloody noisy, we used to wrap them in a think isolating jacket and put all of our sweathers on it when shooting . One time i even took the Arri into the studio to record it sound solo, so i could put it back under the shots that were dubbed.

Hope you get the midi issue solves soon
Cheers Bossi