Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2014, 02:51 PM

Default Re: can not maximize pro tools window???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Pro Tools has certain expectations regarding its "environment"
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=360878
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll probably just continue working around this bug as I have been. I just find it strange that this problem started out of nowhere and without notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyrouse View Post
BTW, JPRIDX, just how do you re-size in Task Manager? Sounds simpler than what I do.
To access the Task Manager, just hold the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time and the Manager window will open. Once there, click "Task Manager." Then you'll see whatever programs are running. You'll see Pro Tools as a running program, but you need to right-click the sub-category in Pro Tools to access the "maximize" tab in the Task Manager. It's not terribly difficult to do, but it's a bit inconvenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I understand that, but you have to understand that Pro Tools doesn't care.

Pro Tools has certain expectations regarding its "environment", and that's what you have to live with. It is because of these "environment demands" that Pro Tools has the performance/stability needed in high-end professional operations, which is why it's the "industry standard"...
Bill, I don't know you, nor do I care to argue with you. While I fully understand what you're saying - I really do - the question that's being asked here is about a bug that exists in Pro Tools; it's not a question about how well Pro Tools performs under multi-tasking conditions. Just for the record, I'm a 60-year-old guitarist who's played and recorded professionally for well over 40 years, and while I am indeed in the early stages of learning Pro Tools for my own personal use, it is necessary for me to access other programs on occasion throughout my work day. It's part of my daily work routine - and it's what I have to do - so I simply need to live with it. So far I've had no performance issues whatsoever with any of my DAW software programs other than the sole question that's being asked here in this thread. I am also very conscientious of how well some programs interact other programs, so if I have any doubt as to how any such program will operate with another, I will shut a program down or reboot the computer if absolutely necessary. Most of the time, however, I rarely need to do this. I do appreciate your help, though.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpridx View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll probably just continue working around this bug as I have been. I just find it strange that this problem started out of nowhere and without notice.

To access the Task Manager, just hold the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time and the Manager window will open. Once there, click "Task Manager." Then you'll see whatever programs are running. You'll see Pro Tools as a running program, but you need to right-click the sub-category in Pro Tools to access the "maximize" tab in the Task Manager. It's not terribly difficult to do, but it's a bit inconvenient.

Bill, I don't know you, nor do I care to argue with you. While I fully understand what you're saying - I really do - the question that's being asked here is about a bug that exists in Pro Tools; it's not a question about how well Pro Tools performs under multi-tasking conditions. Just for the record, I'm a 60-year-old guitarist who's played and recorded professionally for well over 40 years, and while I am indeed in the early stages of learning Pro Tools for my own personal use, it is necessary for me to access other programs on occasion throughout my work day. It's part of my daily work routine - and it's what I have to do - so I simply need to live with it. So far I've had no performance issues whatsoever with any of my DAW software programs other than the sole question that's being asked here in this thread. I am also very conscientious of how well some programs interact other programs, so if I have any doubt as to how any such program will operate with another, I will shut a program down or reboot the computer if absolutely necessary. Most of the time, however, I rarely need to do this. I do appreciate your help, though.
Here's the thing, what you are describing is not a "bug". Since Pro Tools is supposed to be the only software you have running, Avid is simply not concerned that you cannot move back and forth between multiple programs.

A clothes dryer designed to run on 220 volts will not run on 110 volts. It is not a bug, it is simply how the product was designed to operate. There are a lot of other products in my home that can run on either voltage...the clothes dryer will not. Regardless of one's personal workflow/preferences/whatever, the dryer is simply not going to work at 110 volts...if I want a dryer that will run on 110 volts, I have to buy one that will run on 110 volts.

Cubase, Reaper, and probably many other DAWs do not have a problem with multiple programs running, Pro Tools does. So, if your workflow requires that multiple programs be running, Pro Tools may not be the best DAW for you.

None of this is new. Like much other high-end professional software, Pro Tools has a specific set of requirements...follow the requirements and you will have solid, stable software. Don't follow the requirements, and you may have lousy performance.

So, again, this is not a bug in Pro Tools. Avid has no need to change this behavior, so it probably will never be addressed as a bug. It might get "fixed" as part of some other development efforts, but it's probably not a good idea to wait for that.

Pro Tools tells you how you will have to work in order to use the product. Nobody is going to change Pro Tools to fit your workflow.

So, like it or not, you can adapt to Pro Tools' workflow, or you can move on to another products.

On a lighter note, I've got you beat by five years, and since it's morning, I'm feeling every one of my 65 years...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-20-2014, 06:36 AM

Pro Tools supports ReWire and other sync formats, hence more than one app is expected to be running in tandem with it. Running Reason, REAPER and PT together via ReWire is something I do often. The ability to minimize/maximize PT without issue in those situations would be expected behavior.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Bill, let me clarify this further in the event you don't fully understand the problem. Upon starting my computer, if I open Pro Tools only with absolutely no other programs running, and if I minimize the program to the taskbar (again, NO other programs running), I am unable to maximize the program to the screen from the taskbar. I need to use the Task Manager in order to do this. Of course, your argument is that I shouldn't need to minimize the program in the first place - I fully get that - but I've never had this problem with ANY other Windows-based program since I started using Windows in 1995. Do you seriously believe this is by design on behalf of Avid? I hardly think so.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Pro Tools supports ReWire and other sync formats, hence more than one app is expected to be running in tandem with it. Running Reason, REAPER and PT together via ReWire is something I do often. The ability to minimize/maximize PT without issue in those situations would be expected behavior.

Shane
Agreed!

I'll also say this again, but since this thread was started by the OP for the very same problem, I'm quite sure I'm not the only one experiencing this. If there is no fix, I'll just learn to live with it. What's strange is that I've worked on Pro Tools for several months now, and it was only just a few weeks ago when this problem started happening. And yes, it was initially discovered when attempting to use other programs. I have since checked it a number of times when using Pro Tools only, and after updating Windows, updating and reinstalling Pro Tools, and cleaning any amount of potential junk that that may have accumulated into my computer, I continue to have this problem.

Anyway, I do appreciate all of the replies, but some of us will obviously need to work around it the best we can.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Shane
The ability to minimize/maximize PT without issue in those situations would be expected behavior.

Maybe so if Rewire were an Avid product...but Rewire is a Propellerhead/Steinberg development.
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-20-2014, 12:28 PM

DigiReWire is a system plug-in developed and integrated by Avid in-house over a decade ago. The SDK has to be applied for by 3rd party vendors who are interested in including it. Integration, beta testing, and expected functionality is the responsibility of the 3rd party software vendor who integrates the feature on their platform.

ReWire apps aren't the only examples where other software is expected to run in tandem with Pro Tools. There is no documentation from Avid stating that Pro Tools is suppose to be the only software you have running. The minimize/maximize problem reported by some users was never an issue until recently. It always worked as expected in the past.

Shane
Attached Images
File Type: png DRW.png (3.4 KB, 0 views)

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-20-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpridx View Post
Agreed!

I'll also say this again, but since this thread was started by the OP for the very same problem, I'm quite sure I'm not the only one experiencing this...
I experienced the same issue on my own system and deemed it a bug at the time. Unfortunately, it only occurred a few times and I was never able to reproduce it. A similar issue also occurs with the standalone Eleven Rack editor, but only with some users. The hunt is still on to the actual cause of it.

Shane

Old 11-20-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
DigiReWire is a system plug-in developed and integrated by Avid in-house over a decade ago. The SDK has to be applied for by 3rd party vendors who are interested in including it. Integration, beta testing, and expected functionality is the responsibility of the 3rd party software vendor who integrates the feature on their platform.

ReWire apps aren't the only examples where other software is expected to run in tandem with Pro Tools. There is no documentation from Avid stating that Pro Tools is suppose to be the only software you have running. The minimize/maximize problem reported by some users was never an issue until recently. It always worked as expected in the past.

Shane
I stand corrected on the DigiRewire.

The other items (Heat, Mixer) are plugins, which means they are running in the context of Pro Tools, i.e. not as separate programs as would be the case with Pro Tools and Internet Explorer.

Bill in Pittsburgh