Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 08:31 AM

Default midi tracks \"stutter\" on playback

Midi tracks "stutter" when playing back. Sounds like a bad drummer. Input Quantize is on. I have quantized and re-quantized to no effect. This is very suttle but definately happening. Identicle sessions play back correctly on my other computer.

This is a new Pro Tolls Free installation on OS 9.2.2 G3. I have been using Pro Tools Free for about 3 years without problem on another G3 computer, OS 9.1 (I think). This is frustrating because I just found this used computer with 40 GB hard drive. Perfect (I thought) for Pro Tools Free. I formatted the drive and installed the OS myself and only added Pro Tools Free, so there is no other software mucking things up.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:41 PM

Default Re: midi tracks \"stutter\" on playback

Is it only MIDI that's stuttering? Audio OK?

Which G3? Beige? B&W? I ran PTF for while on a Beige OS 9.2.2, and while the performance was better than my 8600 w/G3 upgrade OS 9.1 it wasn't as solid. The Beige has known issues with the PCI bus.

The Rev 1 B&W has a serious problem with the stock ATA bus. Can't handle some modern drives, and no slave support.

Never had this problem, but I only used MIDI a couple times with QT instruments. Nothing external.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:15 AM

Audio plays back fine.
This is an imac, G3, 600mhz, 256 meg ram. I bought used specifically for Pro Tools Free. Midi keyboard connected using usb midisport. My other computer is also an imac G3 and works perfectly with the same setup and older os 9 version. I am considering reformatting the drive and installing my older version of OS 9. However, I do not think the OS is the problem.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:41 AM

Your right the OS shouldn't be the problem.
Have you checked if AppleTalk is on.
This caused me no ends of pain with MIDI.
You might also check if your USB driver is
compatible with your OS.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:52 PM

Final note on this bizarre problem that refuses to be resolved: I have obtained a copy of Cubasis VST 2.0 and installed it. Midi plays back correctly (with no stutter). Cubasis also uses OMS; so it would appear that OMS is not the problem.