Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2019, 12:26 PM

Default Re: reducing CPU load

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
How did deleting databases stop being a thing with PT11 and beyond? It's still doable with the Pete Gates utility.
Ain't no database to delete anymore.

On a Mac: HD\Library\Application Support\Digidesign\Databases

Just does not exist after Pro Tools 10. And it's not moved anywhere else, it's just not used any more.

Peter Gate's utility tries to make that clear by labeling the old "Delete Database" buttons "(pre 11)"

You can tell it to delete stuff that is not there, or is an old remnant of earlier Pro Tools installs, as much as you want... it won't make any difference to Pro Tools 11 and later.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ain't no database to delete anymore.

On a Mac: HD\Library\Application Support\Digidesign\Databases

Just does not exist after Pro Tools 10. And it's not moved anywhere else, it's just not used any more.

Peter Gate's utility tries to make that clear by labeling the old "Delete Database" buttons "(pre 11)"

You can tell it to delete stuff that is not there, or is an old remnant of earlier Pro Tools installs, as much as you want... it won't make any difference to Pro Tools 11 and later.
You're looking in the wrong place for post PT10. In Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Pro Tools there is a Databases folder and if you tick the 'Database/catalogue (Workspace 11+)' in the Gates utility it will delete any databases there. So a databases folder does still exist at least for 11+.

QAPLA!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
What Apogee Ensemble? Sounds like a Thunderbolt, not Firewire, can you confirm that? What driver version?
What exact AAE error(s) do you get?
yeah it's a thunderbolt ensemble, the newer one. I've owned both, and they're great interfaces. I believe i have the latest driver, although I'm not at my studio at the moment so I can't check.
AAE 9173 (ran out of CPU power)

Quote:
Good advice already on testing with all plugin removed and re-checking the systems optimization.
Make sure all your interface drivers, UAD software, other plugins etc. is up to date.
Make sure ignore errors is not checked.
Make sure "dynamic plugin processing" is not checked (YMMV but I generally think this should always be off)
Disk cache is set to a size, say 4GB, not "normal" (which effectively means "off").
Test playing that session using Built In Output as the playback engine.
Try uninstalling all the UAD software. Unplug the UAD hardware. Trash prefs. Reboot. Test.
Create a new Mac administrator account and try testing from that.
(cumulative try to do as many of these things as possible, don't keep undoing things).
Thanks for the notes - some good advice in there.

As you might expect, trashing the prefs seemed to mostly do the trick. occasionally it glitches now, but I can play back and work well enough for the time being. Only glitches maybe one out of five or ten playbacks now, most of the time I could let it play though the whole session if I wanted.

Thanks all!

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 02-20-2019, 11:59 AM

Great !
Old 02-20-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
And just to be clear, deleting the Database stopped being a thing in Pro Tools 11 and later. But either way the popular utilities know what the correct things to do for different Pro Tools versions.
I JUST had an Avid tech tell me to do it for some other problem that arose...
Weird.

HD Native * PT 2018.12 * OS X 10.13.6 * MacPro 12 Core * 2.4GHz 24GB Ram * 2XUAD2 Octo * Waves Platinum * Lexicon PCM Native Bundle * Sound Toys Bundle* AutoTune8 * NI Komplete11 * BFD3 * Synthogy Ivory II* Vienna Ensemble Pro * Spectrasonics * Slate trigger2 *xFer records * Softube * Vienna Ensemble * DMG Expurgate * Massey DRT2 *
iPad Air/Avid control * EuCon 18.3.0.217 *
Old 02-21-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I JUST had an Avid tech tell me to do it for some other problem that arose...
Weird.
As I responded to Darryl in a thread here there still are databases in PT11+ and when using the Pete Gates utility there's a check box to do just that. The section and path that Darryl talks about (Digidesign) is for PT10 and earlier which is separate from the checkbox I just mentioned. The PT11+ databases are in the Avid folder.\
See post 12 above.

QAPLA!