Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Waves Studiorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I don;t get the importance of this. It may be PT specific but LowLatencyMonitoring on AVID i/o s gets essentially A/D and D/A time monitoring and zero additional samples (vs 40 for StudioRack).

Not only PT specific but io specific. You have to be using avid ios with HD native to use low latency monitoring mode. Many people use third party hardware now.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioj11 View Post
Not only PT specific but io specific. You have to be using avid ios with HD native to use low latency monitoring mode. Many people use third party hardware now.
IMO - As has always been true - ProTools HD software (all I have ever used) is designed to work with PT Hardware. In the old days there was virtually no other choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioj11 View Post
I suspect there are lots of people in your situation who feel the same way. I certainly was in that camp when digigrid was first announced. If it were just a plugin box I would tend to still agree... but digigrid is soooo much more than a UAD for waves plugins. It is a routing and networking powerhouse, interapp, across network, across devices... the possibilities are vast. It is now the entire package of features that is luring me in. and hey its awesome that I happen to have a mercury TDM bundle...

does it bug you that avid has never released a decent core audio driver for its hardware? well you can route system audio to your avid IO's with the emotion mixer (using the sg core audio driver in system preferences). record system audio directly into a PT audio track if you want. thats just the tip of the iceberg.
Though I appreciate all the routing - as a hi end project studio I have no need for it (and it would actually complicate my setup - like putting AVID i/o in the tracking rooms - no way - no fans allowed )

Also - 3 years ago when they announced PT10 as the last TDM version I sold my old HD stuff (probably too soon but oh well) and all my Waves TDM (not quite $12K but most of the way there)... So HDX on the used market + a chassis vs DLS + Plugins is about the same $$. If someone put both in front of me today and said choose - I believe I would take HDX...

AVID is slow but the S3L shows that they have a pretty good idea how to do an HDX AVB system. Tailor that more for the project studio and color me - VERY interested. Still Waves stuff has its merits (more for true Native people and multi room facilities though IMO) - if they got some major players on SG - this would change the picture... But AAX64 has a huge lead here...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 01-31-2015, 06:16 PM

Yeah, it's too bad everybody isn't going to AAX DSP, but if you are used to using a lot of Waves plug-ins, StudioRack does in fact work. I have the chains processing in a Digigrid DLS DSP, and they integrate fine into Pro Tools 11.3.1.

I don't see a big advantage to chained native plugins, but the only way to get DSP processing on Waves plug-ins is to use StudioRack and Digigrid hardware.
Again, it does work as advertised, the latency is low, and of course the plugs don't use your CPU.

The next question is the S6. Avid has a couple of its DSP plugins showing up on the screen in the MTM, but the StudioRack basically gives you gibberish for controls on the S6. Gotta set their plugs up from the computer screen rather than the control surface. Supposedly there is a standard table that plugins can write to and interact with the MTM in a rational way. It will be interesting to see if Waves makes their plugs that compatible with Avid.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschatzlein View Post
Yeah, it's too bad everybody isn't going to AAX DSP, but if you are used to using a lot of Waves plug-ins, StudioRack does in fact work. I have the chains processing in a Digigrid DLS DSP, and they integrate fine into Pro Tools 11.3.1.

I don't see a big advantage to chained native plugins, but the only way to get DSP processing on Waves plug-ins is to use StudioRack and Digigrid hardware.
Again, it does work as advertised, the latency is low, and of course the plugs don't use your CPU.

The next question is the S6. Avid has a couple of its DSP plugins showing up on the screen in the MTM, but the StudioRack basically gives you gibberish for controls on the S6. Gotta set their plugs up from the computer screen rather than the control surface. Supposedly there is a standard table that plugins can write to and interact with the MTM in a rational way. It will be interesting to see if Waves makes their plugs that compatible with Avid.
Specs say you can get <1 ms for the DigiGrid IOS. Mind you any plugin latency induced is additional, such as that incurred by Linear Phase operations.

What kind of latency would you be experiencing??

By the way, did you hear the news at NAMM?? Plugin Alliance has released their first plugin for the SoundGrid platform.

I don't remember what it was, possibly Transient Designer
Old 02-18-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
Specs say you can get <1 ms for the DigiGrid IOS. Mind you any plugin latency induced is additional, such as that incurred by Linear Phase operations.

What kind of latency would you be experiencing??

By the way, did you hear the news at NAMM?? Plugin Alliance has released their first plugin for the SoundGrid platform.

I don't remember what it was, possibly Transient Designer
Do you have a link or something? Plugin Alliance was "onboard" a long time ago but I still haven't seen anything.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:23 AM

Damn... I've been trying to find info on it and it's not there.

Now that I think of it, there's a good chance it wasn't announced at NAMM 2015, it may have just been a leaked screenshot at around that time. Coincidental.

I'll have a more thorough search for it when I get the chance.