Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-15-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Apple vs. Avid (SOUNDTRACK 2 IS HERE)

who is going to win in the long run?

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/soundtrackpro/
Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Apple vs. Avid

Here's my take...

Two companies with Deep pockets.

One company known for innovation and moving forward and creating fresh and new products and staying ahead of the curb... almost an ESP for what its client base wants and needs.

One company that once had some cool stuff and still has that same stuff, but isn't moving forward or hasn't had an innovation in years, actually with its latest product coming very close to moving backward. a company that would rather buy out another company for its products rather than create or innovate new ones... almost as if they actually don't have a clue who their client base is or want they want or need.

My money is on Apple in the long run.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:14 AM

basically -

We, the users, tell Apple what we want. They respond. They usually over-deliver.

Digi, on the other hand, wants to tell the users what they want (or can have), as opposed to the other way around.

It's probably not a great business model going forward, but at the same time, they're not idiots, and hopefully have something up their sleeve.

That they're a hardware company first is no longer a viable excuse. Apple does both hardware and software, and they know that software is probably more important in the long run - it drives the hardware sales. Hopefully Digi is taking notes.

It's pretty funny that STP2 looks like it will deliver a similar functionality to the DV Toolkit 2 option (with VK Conform or otherwise!), and it's certainly cheaper when you work it all out.

Hopefully it's less buggy than the predecessor.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Apple vs. Avid (SOUNDTRACK 2 IS HERE)

My money is on apple as well in the long run. However, as tempting as STP2 looks right now the one downfall is the track limitations. At 24 tracks it isn't enough to handle my mixing needs. But then again PTLE with DVToolkit 2 is also limiting with 48. But it is tempting to be able to mix and master with STP2 without needing a huge piece of hardware.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 AM

Final Cut Studio 2 costs $1,299.00
includes >
Final Cut Pro 6
Motion 3
Soundtrack Pro 2
Color
Compressor 3
DVD Studio Pro 4

DV Toolkit 2 ALONE is $1295 !

Old 04-16-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:

Digi, on the other hand, wants to tell the users what they want (or can have), as opposed to the other way around.
I hear this a lot and think it's just plain wrong. Looking back at Pro Tools upgrades, and heck, to some extent even hardware development Digi many times gives us just what we want if we ask for it. Or how about Beat Detective (first crippled then full version), higher track count, more auxes, instrument tracks and even the Mbox mini could be taken into that account. Perhaps even Mbox Pro.

So at least as far as the LE line goes they give us what we want. Yeah, yeah, I know... There are a lot of things people want today (myself included), but I honestly believe they will give us this.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:

I hear this a lot and think it's just plain wrong. Looking back at Pro Tools upgrades, and heck, to some extent even hardware development Digi many times gives us just what we want if we ask for it. Or how about Beat Detective (first crippled then full version), higher track count, more auxes, instrument tracks and even the Mbox mini could be taken into that account. Perhaps even Mbox Pro.

So at least as far as the LE line goes they give us what we want. Yeah, yeah, I know... There are a lot of things people want today (myself included), but I honestly believe they will give us this.
Beat Detective/higher track counts: US $500 extra
Mbox mini - come on, it's not really what people wanted - they've been screaming for a dongle, not a smaller interface.
Mbox 2 Pro - still too crippled, the clocking design appears to have been designed by amateur squirrels, and the box is still bigger than it needs to be, and it a lot more expensive than similar products from other companies (the argument I hear against that is that it 'includes Pro Tools, so it must be more expensive!' - but that's not a great point when I'm adding/upgrading to a current system, I don't really need a new copy, do I, nor do I need duplicate licenses of all the ignition pack crap)

My point is, they're not 'giving' us anything - and they're only _barely_ responding to what their customers want, and begrudgingly so, it seems. They just keep the argument up that 'Pro Tools is the industry standard, so if you want to be in our club, here's your options.' And they do want to force people into at least thinking they need PTHD.

Anyway, this has all been done to death (where's Hench when you need him? ) - it just seems to me that the point of Apple being more innovative, listening to customers and over-delivering/under-pricing [at least in the software arena] stands, and Digi will lose market share as a result.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 AM

I once went to a Logic Pro 7 (then, recently acquired by Apple) seminar, which was followed by an Avid DV seminar. The implication was that there was some kind of organisational link between the two. Could've been that both seminars were organised by one distributor - don't recall.

Terminal3: "Ignition Pack crap" Too right. I would swap the lot for one decent ROMpler, that didn't need endless authorisations and worked right out of the 'box'.
Roland RD300s electric piano
Toontracks dfh EZ drummer
Old 04-17-2007, 02:39 PM

5.1 mixing in SoundTrac Pro is here.
Still just WAV files.... no BWAV as far as I can tell for import.
Looked at it yesterday at NAB.
Has a very large waveform window that opens up on the track you are working on below the timeline.
It's better... still looks like STP. I'm so used to PT I don't want to change.... but the 5.1 mixing........
No real Digidesign presence at NAB, most of there stuff was at AVID booth....called "Avid audio editing."
One small Digi booth in the back in the "products for churches" part of NAB.
PT 7.4 was there, put I didn't look at it.