Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-05-2020, 01:28 PM

Default Re: What are people's experiences with Auto-Align-Post?

Copy that, Marti. I wish we had your budgets and subsequent plugin budget here. I've been getting by for 25 years without it, so a few more months isn't going to end my career.

smart phone my ass
Old 06-05-2020, 02:15 PM

Autoalign Post changed the way we edit and mix dialogs today.
It also saves time when trying to match EQ as there are no more coloration caused by the phasing issues.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 06-05-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTor View Post
Copy that, Marti. I wish we had your budgets and subsequent plugin budget here. I've been getting by for 25 years without it, so a few more months isn't going to end my career.
I understand. It does allow one to get better quality Dialog, have to do less ADR recording and allows you to get a better, faster mix.For me it paid for itself after 1 episode of a TV mix. When clients compliment what better sounding the dialog is then it becomes very obvious of what I was missing. Start saving your money
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:50 PM

Marti, how do you and fellow mixers EQ dialog on a session with Boom and Lav auto-aligned? Do you EQ the clips individually and then touch up the overall sound on the DX Master/Reassign bus? With auto-align and more and more multi-cam shoots I'm finding many of our sessions are boom and lav together.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayush Ahuja View Post
With auto-align and more and more multi-cam shoots I'm finding many of our sessions are boom and lav together.
I think that's the key to why it's getting so much use now. All of these multi cam shoots kill the boom. It becomes a room mic to liven up the lavs. I've noticed it really comes in handy with rustly lavs, you can cut tight on the lines and leave the boom playing for the air and movements so it still sounds natural.

I really dislike having to cut multiple mics in but this beats the pants off aligning manually.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Marti, how do you and fellow mixers EQ dialog on a session with Boom and Lav auto-aligned? Do you EQ the clips individually and then touch up the overall sound on the DX Master/Reassign bus? With auto-align and more and more multi-cam shoots I'm finding many of our sessions are boom and lav together.
First, I would use both sources (boom + lav) only in cases where I cannot get the whole information I need from one. That means one of those mics will always be the main one and the other will be added to fill in. I always EQ on channels, never on DX master bus, so I'll EQ the main mic to get what I want from it, and then blend in another one to add, as smurfyou said, room, brightness, or whatever else was missing.

Imo, the biggest change this plugin brought was not for DX editors. You still have to do most of the editing operations that require other tools. Previously, one would never spend hours trying to align clips perfectly, because there was a limit of how much you can achieve with standard tools - cut, move, phase invert. The real revolution is in the way we mix DX now - the freedom to add up sources without watching for phase cancellations is a completely new experience.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
Hey Tor,
Yes, I'm using it it phase-align different mic channels from location recordings, not for aligning ADR. I think it's a brilliant (and brilliantly simple to use) bit of software, just noticing that it's not always 100% reliable and wanted to canvas opinion on that.

Pete
Ive had very good results with AAP.
When static doesn't work well, even though there is no movement, I go dynamic, and get amazing results.
The other, is I get in such a hurry, I forget to hit analyze before render.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:50 AM

I've been using dynamic all the time.

What I have found useful is to have an autmomixed Lav track from the sound mixer - which cuts to the speaking actors Lav (if setup correctly). I use this as my phase reference as it has less movement than the boom. I can correct individual lines if required later, for head turns or scenes with much more movement and dialog overlaps.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I've been using dynamic all the time.

What I have found useful is to have an autmomixed Lav track from the sound mixer - which cuts to the speaking actors Lav (if setup correctly). I use this as my phase reference as it has less movement than the boom. I can correct individual lines if required later, for head turns or scenes with much more movement and dialog overlaps.
Hey Ayush,
I'm curious about what you're doing? You've got a mixed lav track and you say you're using it as a reference... for what? Are you doing it the other way round and aligning the boom to the lav? Or is it something else?

Cheers,
Pete
Old 06-07-2020, 02:46 PM

Hi Pete! Hi everyone.

I just finished using it on a feature film and I'm very pleasantly impressed! I kept the settings to "create individual files" and "clip by clip" so it can preserve my edits as well as my clip gain automation.

I had already gone through and done a full edit and pre-mix pass on all booms and all lavs, and exported a mono stem of each (mono boom, mono lav).

Then I saw this thread.

So, previously, during the sections where I wished I could use both, and hand-sunc my boom to match my lav, I was really frustrated with the varying delay, phasing, and phase cancellation.
NOW, I use my (muted) lav print as my key input across the board so any boom clip I wanted to double up with my lav, I'd select, preview, render (in dynamic mode).

It's honestly been really easy and helpful; haven't had a single issue yet. Well worth buying it, even though I was able to process my entire feature in about 30 minutes while in my trial. This helped so much with adding space and brightness to some muddled and lifeless lav tracks.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system