Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-05-2020, 01:47 AM

Default What are people's experiences with Auto-Align-Post?

I've been using Sound Radix's Auto Align Post, and unlike their previous aligning plugin this has become one of my essentials. I think generally it's a pretty amazing bit of software. I do find that it often gets it wrong though and I can't see why, it's not predictable so far. What are other people's experiences of it?

Cheers,
Pete
Old 06-05-2020, 02:15 AM

Default Re: What are people's experiences with Auto-Align-Post?

Auto align post is beyond amazing!
I really feel that it is the biggest revolution in audio post for the last decade.
The fact that it could not be efficiently integrated with Nuendo was 50% of the reason why I switched to PT as my main software.

I have edited gazillions of files and it is usually spot on.
I just LOVE the opportunity to use booms and lavs at the same time without phasing issues.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tention View Post
Auto align post is beyond amazing!

I really feel that it is the biggest revolution in audio post for the last decade.

The fact that it could not be efficiently integrated with Nuendo was 50% of the reason why I switched to PT as my main software.

I have edited gazillions of files and it is usually spot on.

I just LOVE the opportunity to use booms and lavs at the same time without phasing issues.
I too think it has been a big revolution.

Before I always chose to only use the Boom when it was ok and to only edit and manually align the lavs if the Boom was not ok.

Now I always use the lavs combined with the Boom. I think it's a lot easier to achieve a consistent and balanced dialogue sound with enough perspective and depth and without rustles (thanks to iZotope) but lively and colorful.

And as far as I was able to test it, to me it seems to align better than Absyntia DX.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:50 AM

It can have troubles when one or both mics are moving, or the actor is moving and the boom is stationary.
Other than that, which I wouldn't expect it to be able to correct anyway, I find it spot on.
For me, it and RX7 are the 2 most amazing leaps forward for sound post in the last few years.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
I do find that it often gets it wrong though and I can't see why, it's not predictable so far.
I haven't used it (actually haven't ever used any auto-align plugin), but it seems the happy responses so far are all using it to line up booms and lavs and I'm wondering if it's better at that than at editing ADR and maybe that's what it's not as good at? Is that how you're using it, Pete?

I do both manually and lean towards boom in my mixes, but I think this might go on my plugin wish list.

smart phone my ass
Old 06-05-2020, 09:10 AM

Hey Tor,
Yes, I'm using it it phase-align different mic channels from location recordings, not for aligning ADR. I think it's a brilliant (and brilliantly simple to use) bit of software, just noticing that it's not always 100% reliable and wanted to canvas opinion on that.

Pete
Old 06-05-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Hey Tor,
Yes, I'm using it it phase-align different mic channels from location recordings, not for aligning ADR. I think it's a brilliant (and brilliantly simple to use) bit of software, just noticing that it's not always 100% reliable and wanted to canvas opinion on that.

Pete
Peter,
We at "The Dub Stage" were Beta Testers for "Auto Align Post". Justin Walker my Dialog/ ADR Supervisor can be seen on their Video introducing the software. We use it for aligning the Production Boom and Lavs. We held a large "Sound Radix" Seminar on January 16th at "The Dub Stage" with 35 Re-Recording Mixers, Sound Supervisors, Dialog/ ADR Editors . It is an excellent product. The vast majority of the time it works amazingly. Occasionally it suffers from "Phase Rotation" where you can hear the combined tracks to be very 400-800hz pronounced. Sound Radix is coming out with an update. I will post it here when it is released.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:52 AM

I absolutely love this plugin - It is a real timesaver in post, especially in places where a little bit of Boom and Lav mixed together help bring out a line that otherwise would otherwise sound muffled or off mic. I also use it on difficult muffled lines to add the Lav mics from other actors who are standing near to or opposite the speaker as they can have some 'air' to them. Another revelation for me has been on multi-mic car or motorbike recordings, it has really helped align engine and exhaust mics and tighten the low end.

Marti - I'm excited to hear they have an update coming out, as the 400-800hz range has been a noticeable issue.

Best,

Ayush

Last edited by Ayush Ahuja; 06-05-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Hey Tor,

Pete
Weird. Sounds as though you experience is contrary to the general reaction out here. It might slip down the wish list a bit until it's showing better results all around.

smart phone my ass
Old 06-05-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTor View Post
Weird. Sounds as though you experience is contrary to the general reaction out here. It might slip down the wish list a bit until it's showing better results all around.

smart phone my ass
I disagree... It works magic way more often then not. It depends on the recording and the Production Mixers equipment and their choices.I couldn't mix without it!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.