How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2020, 04:46 PM

Default Windows 10 options!

Hey all-

I have done a lot of reading the last few days about my circumstance, and still unsure which route I should take, hoping to get some advice.

I share a small NYC project studio (Mac Based) with a friend, but due to the whole social distancing/quarantine thing I am trying to set something up at my girlfriends apartment, mostly just for the purpose of demoing some songs while trying not to go out. My work is cancelled, it is a commute to get to the studio, I just want to stay in, drink tea (in the morning), whiskey (in the evening), and mess around with music.

I am wondering what my best option is compatibility wise with my brand new Windows 10 laptop that I bought recently (not purchased thinking that I would ever be recording on it)... I'd like to grab all the gear I need including guitars with one trip back to the studio.

For interfaces I have a few options:
Eleven Rack (I think I like this idea most because of the built in amps etc)
Mbox2

I have an iLok2 with Pro Tools 10/11 keys on it, this came with the Eleven Rack.

So my concern is compatibility of the Eleven Rack with Windows 10, and the compatibility of Windows 10 and either Pro Tools 10 or 11.

Alternatively I can bring Mbox2 or 002 and bring a Pod or Pod XT with me, but I am trying to bring a minimal amount of ****...

Not sure what route I should take here. What would you do? Does anyone here run Pro Tools 10 or 11 with Eleven Rack on a Windows 10 machine?

I have read some things about needing to update the Eleven Rack. I bought it recently (really just for a cheap Ilok) and haven't used it much... Is this necessary? I don't care about extra amps or anything. I have a Mac that I can update it on at the studio, or I have an XP Windows Machine at my apartment I can update it on if need be. But as I said, trying to get set up in one trip home/studio and back.

I don't care so much about quality, I can re-record later, I just want something comfortable set up so I can be creative in these weeks, months, or however long it is.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2020, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Windows 10 options!

This shouldnt be an issue.

The latest Eleven Rack drivers are here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...n-Rack-Drivers

And the Eleven Rack Editor will be helpful: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...en-Rack-Editor

Here's the compatibility chart: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 03-19-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
This shouldnt be an issue.

The latest Eleven Rack drivers are here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...n-Rack-Drivers

And the Eleven Rack Editor will be helpful: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...en-Rack-Editor

Here's the compatibility chart: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

Joel
Thanks so much for your reply Joel!

So I see the compatibility chart for the Eleven Rack with Windows 10 looks fine.

I guess the bigger question is will Pro Tools 10 or 11 work with Windows 10? I see that it is not listed on this chart that I'm linking to below. Is that just them saying its not guaranteed to work, but it probably does?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
Old 03-20-2020, 02:11 AM

I use 11r win10 PT 2019. Works.

However, the 11r editor (disintegrated from PT as from PT12(?) and now a separate install) was not running in W10, but running it in w8 compatibility mode works fine here.

Perhaps the entirety of your PT10/11 including the integrated 11r editor can run in w8 compatibility mode.

Seems unlikely to work considering interworkings with plugins and interface, but might be worth a try.

/Fzz

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2020, 07:25 AM

thanks so much for your reply!

I don't care about the 11R editor that much

as long as I can plug it in as an interface, and dial up a sound to record, I'll be in business!
Old 03-20-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecel View Post
thanks so much for your reply!

I don't care about the 11R editor that much

as long as I can plug it in as an interface, and dial up a sound to record, I'll be in business!
That shouldn't be a problem.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-20-2020, 10:22 AM

Be sure to do ALL the Avid optimizations and also have a look at this thread.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction