Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 04-15-2016, 06:46 AM

Default Re: WUP Waves Update Plan! Best Option? Please Advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
My WUP had expired and I had need of technical support. I emailed expecting to be told I needed to update my WUP.

Surprisingly my technical support request was answered. I asked why it had been answered since my WUP had long since expired.

I was told you ONLY need to keep your WUP updated if you want the freebie plug-ins that come with major updates.

As I said, my WUP has long since expired but I am still able to update to the latest versions and get technical support.

I'd double check this but that is what I was told.
Actually you also need WUP if you want to sell plugins. But it is true that their tech support usually does not refuse to help if your WUP expired, which is great. I also have WUP expired on most plugins I have.

Also, I think, when v10 of plugins comes out, we will need to WUP in order to get it. But we are free to stay on v9 AFAIK.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gone View Post
Actually you also need WUP if you want to sell plugins. But it is true that their tech support usually does not refuse to help if your WUP expired, which is great. I also have WUP expired on most plugins I have.

Also, I think, when v10 of plugins comes out, we will need to WUP in order to get it. But we are free to stay on v9 AFAIK.
It's also great that you can still get the latest updates! You're probably right about version 10 though.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:36 PM

Just got an email from Waves saying they're currently doing 25% off all WUP renewals til April 30 - don't recall them ever doing that before. My Mercury WUP finished last July so don't have the new plugs they've added since then, might just take the gamble that they bring v10 out in the next year...

Hopefully Waves Universe et al. honour the Waves offer too, might just come in under $200.

Thanks for the tip on re-WUPing after a new plug in to get the extension though, I wasn't aware of that - if I use my Presonus Waves -25% offer which also came through today to get Abbey Road plates, that should safely see me to version 10 with any luck!

And yeah, a big shout out to Waves tech support. No only do they still give you help when out of WUP, they also informed me that with the new licence centre you automatically get the latest release of your current version regardless of WUP status.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 04-15-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazC View Post
with the new licence centre you automatically get the latest release of your current version regardless of WUP status.
Just a heads up, this is how it normally works. Lack of WUP will prevent you from upgrading to the next major version (e.g. from v9 to v10) but even without WUP you can still get all the revisions for your current version (e.g. v9 r20 to v9 r21)
Old 04-15-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Just a heads up, this is how it normally works. Lack of WUP will prevent you from upgrading to the next major version (e.g. from v9 to v10) but even without WUP you can still get all the revisions for your current version (e.g. v9 r20 to v9 r21)
Ah right, I wasn't aware of that. It's the way they word it - much like when they went AAX, they made it sounded like you needed to a WUP when if fact, you didn't.

As for the WUP extension if you buy a new plugin, any idea on how long the new one takes to show up on the list? I just got the Plates for $75 but it's not showing in my WUP list yet. Not a biggie as the WUP offer is on til the 30th but it'd be good to know if, in fact you can still do that.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 04-15-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazC View Post
Ah right, I wasn't aware of that. It's the way they word it - much like when they went AAX, they made it sounded like you needed to a WUP when if fact, you didn't.

As for the WUP extension if you buy a new plugin, any idea on how long the new one takes to show up on the list? I just got the Plates for $75 but it's not showing in my WUP list yet. Not a biggie as the WUP offer is on til the 30th but it'd be good to know if, in fact you can still do that.
I think you did need WUP to upgrade to AAX because it was a completely new plug-in format.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:38 PM

FWIW - WUP is 25% off at this time - even a little more from your favorite dealer
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 04-16-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
FWIW - WUP is 25% off at this time - even a little more from your favorite dealer
There's something confusing about that. I haven't tried from AD but going direct from Waves and I can't see where the 25% is applied. And another is from the way I read Waves's rules this only applies to WUP's that are up this year and not across the whole spectrum of plugins you may have from Waves.

QAPLA!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:25 AM

I followed the link from their e-mail, it went to my account, and the WUP cost just was -25% at the Waves site.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gone View Post
I followed the link from their e-mail, it went to my account, and the WUP cost just was -25% at the Waves site.
The link from whose email - AD or Waves? Waves is also giving the 25% discount from their site.

QAPLA!