Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2014, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Best Optimization For Windows7 Core I7 PC

It seems like every one of these tips are being discounted by another poster, so we are running into "Once I put my red socks on it worked, so apparently you need to be wearing red socks."

There is NO WAY any reputable company puts software on the market that requires this much voodoo to get it to work. I have read these threads very closely and what one says is "the answer" at least one other says "that doesn't matter".

This software has been around a LONG time, since well before these rocket sauce computers were commonplace, so it simply CAN'T need all of these minute tweaks be made in order to operate.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:44 PM

The main thing is disabling power saving features intended for people who don't need real time power, i.e. 90% of computer users. The same tweaks enhance the performance of all DAWs.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:28 AM

The power saving, both screen saver related and on the peripheral cards on the card bus, has been turned off since the computer was built, so that's not the problem.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 AM

What is an unsuspecting novice, with little to no computer savvy to do when, after investing hard earned money in a computer and support hardware he finds that A), there is no way he can depend on said equipment to function properly day to day and B), When these irritating and seemingly unsolvable problems occur on an almost daily basis and he seeks help, (i.e.), tech support from the retailer that sold him the computer, advertising same as "specially built for digital audio recording", and praising the wonders of Pro Tools, and that it is cross compatible with all third party manufacturers I/O's ?? Let me say here that the above is exactly my story! I won't mention the retailer but I'm sure I'm not their only customer. Over time I've learned quite a bit about making Pro Tools work for me and I am pleased when it does what it is advertised to do but all the time I'm working with it, the thought is there that on the next pass or mouse click the old "Running out of CPU" warning may occur! No one mentioned when I spent my money that I needed to be a computer tech! No one said, I would need to spend twice that much if I wanted a smooth running system! I've done the recommended optimization that was presented as the solution to the many things that can interfere with PT's operations more than a few times! I've submitted a software Sandra report, the results of which were inconclusive or, from my level of understanding, not understandable! Hell, I don't even know what a bios is and I don't want to know! All I want to do is record music! This all comes down to how much money one is willing to spend and even so, I'll bet that if I had spent the big bucks and bought the most powerful pc the retailer had to offer the problems would still occur! Are there two versions of Pro Tools? One for hobbyists and one for pro studios? There must be and Avid just ain't saying so! I can't believe that a pro studio could last more than a week with the same problems! Avid! Put a buyer beware warning in your ads! The surgeon general has determined that the use of Pro Tools can cause ulcers! I rest my case!

Last edited by Terry Wetzel; 07-08-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: not finished ranting! still not finished!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:57 AM

I can't remember where I parked my core !
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM

Why would I want to screw up my analog processing?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
I can't remember where I parked my core !
As for not wanting to become a PC guru, that's what Mac is for. Personally, I love to find ways of wringing out any extra horsepower from whatever system I have(you can never have too much power). Any computer that is built for "general purpose" is made to do many things decently, but maybe nothing spectacular. I want my rig to cover my needs as well as possible, so tweaks are part of the entire studio setup to me

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-09-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As for not wanting to become a PC guru, that's what Mac is for. Personally, I love to find ways of wringing out any extra horsepower from whatever system I have(you can never have too much power). Any computer that is built for "general purpose" is made to do many things decently, but maybe nothing spectacular. I want my rig to cover my needs as well as possible, so tweaks are part of the entire studio setup to me
Thanks albee but the retailer clearly advertises that the pc in question is purpose built for recording!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:35 AM

Then you should be dealing with the retailer as you did not get what you paid for.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-09-2014, 08:46 AM

Terry, I was more aiming at the OP than at you with my comments If your rig is not up to snuff, there are several possible reasons. Was it designed for "recording" or specifically for "pro tools"? If it was recording(a somewhat generic reference) then its possible that some specific Pro Tools tweaks were not implemented. If it was setup for PT, its possible that things have changed over time. Windows updates, installing new software, adding plugins, contracting a virus, trojan, malware, etc...can all cause issues, from minor to devastating.

Does Avid make 2 versions for pro's and amateurs? Well, in a sense, yes. HD has more features and most "pro's" will use the HD version, while most amateurs will not spend that kind of cash, but the HD version doesn't run any better and requires all the same system tweaks. Then, some of the extra features will chew up more power as well.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave