Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-25-2000, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default 24-Bit ADAT Bridge I/O

ANNOUNCEMENT ADAT Bridge I/O – Now with 24-bit Optical and D/A Converters - Shipping Soon!

The ADAT Bridge I/O is a peripheral that allows you to integrate ADATs or other ADAT optical devices into a Pro Tools system. It has 16 channels of ADAT Optical I/O, two channels of AES/EBU and S/PDIF Digital I/O, and two channels of Analog output for monitoring.

In the previous version of the ADAT Bridge, the ADAT Optical and the Analog outputs were 20-bit resolution. With this new version of the ADAT Bridge I/O, these inputs and outputs have all been updated to 24-bit, making the ADAT Bridge an entirely 24-bit device.

This update of the ADAT Bridge will allow customers to connect ADAT Optical equipment such as mixing consoles, effects devices, and synthesizers to Pro Tools and transfer audio between them at 24-bit resolution, as well as monitor output at full 24-bit resolution. This new 24-bit ADAT Bridge I/O is 100 % compatible with the original ADAT Bridge I/O, meaning that it can replace the original without any need for software or hardware modifications to the Pro Tools system.

Q&A

Q: What exactly has changed on the ADAT Bridge?

A: We have removed the Alesis ADAT chips from the unit and placed the ADAT intelligence into the FPGA of the unit. In other words, all the functionality that used to be supplied by the Alesis chips for the optical ports are now part of the overall intelligence of the I/O unit. In fact, the same intelligence is used on the Digi 001 product. We have also upgraded the analog output pair to 24-bit D/A converters. The result – all I/O ports on the 24-bit ADAT Bridge I/O are 24-bit clean including the optical lightpipe (ADAT), AES/EBU, S/PDIF ports as well as the analog outputs.

Q: If I use an ADAT Bridge I/O now, what software is needed to make the new 24-bit ADAT Bridge I/O work

A: None. The 24-bit ADAT Bridge I/O is backward compatible with all software and DSP cards that are currently supported with the original ADAT Bridge I/O. This includes Pro Tools 4.1.1 software (or later) as well as DAE/DSI 3.2.3 (or later). If you are currently using a 3rd-party digital audio sequencer package, no changes should be required for the 24-bit ADAT Bridge I/O (refer to your 3rd party software developer for exact details). Also, the 24-bit ADAT Bridge I/O is compatible with all MIX Core, MIX Farm, or MIX I/O cards; the d24 card; PCI-based Disk I/O and DSP Farms; and Project II. This allows the new 24-bit ADAT Bridge I/O to plug right into any current ADAT Bridge I/O configuration without any software changes.

Q: What is the upgrade policy for current ADAT Bridge I/O owners?

A: Customers who purchased the original ADAT Bridge I/O after June 1, 2000 are eligible for a free upgrade. For those customers that purchased before June 1, 2000, the upgrade charge is $295 (US$). The upgrade includes a complete main-board replacement as well as a new faceplate. All parts, labor, and return shipping are included in this price.

Q: How do I order an upgrade?

A: Upgrade arrangements are offered exclusively through Digidesign Technical Support. Digidesign Technical Support will begin processing upgrade orders on September 15th.

Q: How long does the upgrade take?

A: Digidesign will honor a 48-hr turnaround on upgrades. Typical upgrades will be processed the same day they are received. However, due to the large number of installed ADAT Bridge I/O’s, we are offering a limited amount of upgrade appointments per month. In order to schedule an upgrade, please contact your regional Digidesign Technical Support team. Upgrades will be performed on a first-come, first-serve basis.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS · Compatible audio cards: Pro Tools|24 MIX Core, MIX Farm, MIX I/O, d24 and PCI DSP Farm cards. · Pro Tools 4.1.1 software or later OR compatible digital audio program that supports both DigiSystem Init v3.3x and DAE (Digidesign Audio Engine) v3.3x or later.

*16-channel I/O functionality with a single d24 or MIX audio card requries the 16-channel Y-cable adapter.

Digidesign Technical Support