Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-27-2012, 04:42 PM

Default Sold Pod HD, Bought 11R finally

Hello there,

I am watching this place some time now and finally this morning decided to sell my Pod Hd as i wasn't happy with the sound (a little plastic IMO) and after 15 minutes pulled the trigger to a brand new eleven rack with Pro Tools 9.

Went home, Registered everything, downloaded pro tools 10, update to 10.0.1, enabled the ERXP to make it visible to Pro Tools interface and straight into heaven.

So far i played with my 11R for an hour. Totally happy with it. Should i ask if there is another expansion coming?

Also can you recommend some good patches for blues, hard rock and metal? Some EVH also would be good.

How is the eleven rack in 4cm for FX only just to add Delay and reverb to my Marshall amp? Can i run my distortion pedals with the amp and use the 11r for delays?

Well thats it for now. Sorry for all those question in one thread but i am sure you have been in the same position after fulfilling your G.A.S....

Thanks in advance

Custom Musikraft EVH Frankenstein Strat

Marshall Class 5 Rat Modded Combo

Eleven Rack with ERXP

Apple Macbook Pro 10.7.3
Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Sold Pod HD, Bought 11R finally

Hey, welcome to Club Orange!

The 11R is a great little machine capable of many tones and textures even though it has fewer effects than many other Hardware Guitar Amp Simulation boxes - and it can beat almost all other boxes out there and matches others.

As far as a new Expansion Pack - its possible, but only Avid knows, and they are not saying.

A couple places to download user created Eleven Rack Rigs/Presets are:

www.ElevenRackPresets.com and

http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.com/...rack-rigs.html

between those two site you have pretty much every style and type of tone covered.

Be sure to read through the manual, it will answer many of your questions, and don't forget you also have a searchable PDF installed when you install Pro Tools, so if you have a specific questions, many times just doing a search for a 'keyword' of the 11R PDF will net you an answer.

If you would like to view some Eleven Rack tutorial videos you can check the Avid website and also check my youtube page or blog, links are below.

Good luck.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 PM

If you want to use pedals for your sound, then you can run the pedals into the unit, just like a real amp, and pick a clean amp in the 11R, like the Twin Reverb (Black Duo) or the DC Modern Clean. Then add delays and effects as needed.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 PM

My recommendation is build your own patches. See, with other devices like the POD HD for instance you can indeed download other people's patches and use them without problems. However with the 11R some times a patch made for a certain guitar sounds completely different with another one. For some a downloaded patch might be a good starting point, but I prefer the aproach of learning how to build a patch from scratch and make it sound the way I want with a particular axe - I even name my patches after the guitars they're built on. It's harder but it has its payoffs, one of them being the fact that once you master building patches with the 11R, chances are you won't get lost if you ever have to deal with its real world fx blocks counterparts.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
My recommendation is build your own patches. See, with other devices like the POD HD for instance you can indeed download other people's patches and use them without problems. However with the 11R some times a patch made for a certain guitar sounds completely different with another one. For some a downloaded patch might be a good starting point, but I prefer the aproach of learning how to build a patch from scratch and make it sound the way I want with a particular axe - I even name my patches after the guitars they're built on. It's harder but it has its payoffs, one of them being the fact that once you master building patches with the 11R, chances are you won't get lost if you ever have to deal with its real world fx blocks counterparts.
I tend to do the same, including naming patches after the axe used to create them.

However I have downloaded a lot of patches and find some of them to be useful as a starting point.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 AM

Ok now i have a question regarding 4cm method

I tried to run my 11r in 4cm with my marshall class 5 effects loopand it seems that i am hering only the effects before the effectsloop block and not those after? what am i missing.

Here is what i did

Guitar > 11R input
11R FX send > amp input
Amp FX send > 11R FX return
11R "Output to Amp" > amp FX return.

Note that i used the effects loop inputs that say "mono" which are the left ones. also there is white button there and i tried both ways pressed and not pressed.

also i set the 1/4" "Output to Amp"to "Amp Input"

am i doing something wrong?

Actually i want to use the 11r only for effects after the fx loop like delay and have the tone of my marshall intact.

Eleven Rack with ERXP

Apple Macbook Pro 10.7.3
Old 03-28-2012, 07:32 AM

Did you see the tutorial vids ?
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Eleven-Rack_2
Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dog View Post
Ok now i have a question regarding 4cm method

I tried to run my 11r in 4cm with my marshall class 5 effects loopand it seems that i am hering only the effects before the effectsloop block and not those after? what am i missing.

Here is what i did

Guitar > 11R input
11R FX send > amp input
Amp FX send > 11R FX return
11R "Output to Amp" > amp FX return.

Note that i used the effects loop inputs that say "mono" which are the left ones. also there is white button there and i tried both ways pressed and not pressed.

also i set the 1/4" "Output to Amp"to "Amp Input"

am i doing something wrong?

Actually i want to use the 11r only for effects after the fx loop like delay and have the tone of my marshall intact.
First, interesting - The Class5 I had did not have an FX loop...

Back on topic: If you set the "Output to Amp" to "Amp input", you're taking your signal from just before the amp block, so that's exactly what you'll get: just what's placed before the amp block. Where's your FX loop in the "virtual" signal chain?

I take it you only want to use the the Class5 preamp, and use the 11R only for FX, correct? If so, put the FX Loop block in the spot immediately after the last effect you want "in front of" the amp, and move the Amp block to after the last effect you want in the Class5 loop. Then your chain will go (logically speaking):

Guitar > Any "real" FX pedals you're using > 11R in (for "Pre- preamp" FX) > 11R FX Send to Class5 preamp > Class5 FX Send to 11R "Post-amp" FX > Class5 FX Return > Class5 power amp > Speaker.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
First, interesting - The Class5 I had did not have an FX loop...

Back on topic: If you set the "Output to Amp" to "Amp input", you're taking your signal from just before the amp block, so that's exactly what you'll get: just what's placed before the amp block. Where's your FX loop in the "virtual" signal chain?

I take it you only want to use the the Class5 preamp, and use the 11R only for FX, correct? If so, put the FX Loop block in the spot immediately after the last effect you want "in front of" the amp, and move the Amp block to after the last effect you want in the Class5 loop. Then your chain will go (logically speaking):

Guitar > Any "real" FX pedals you're using > 11R in (for "Pre- preamp" FX) > 11R FX Send to Class5 preamp > Class5 FX Send to 11R "Post-amp" FX > Class5 FX Return > Class5 power amp > Speaker.
1. My Class 5 is modded bu Rat Valve Amps and one of the mods was to add an fx loop.

2. Ok, lets get it straight. what i want to do is to use the 11r only for fx with my amp and to do this as far as i know is to connect the 11r using the 4 cable method. i did that but the thing is that i can t hear the delays. the only thing i hear is the OD/Dist blocks. there is something i am doing wrong. are the cable connections i described above correct?

Eleven Rack with ERXP

Apple Macbook Pro 10.7.3
Old 03-29-2012, 03:40 PM

Within the 11r patch, do you have the delays pre or post amp model?