Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-18-2006, 02:26 AM

Default Waves Tune vs Melodyne Bridge

Just interested in current opinions on these two 'plug-ins'.

Tune is a great concept although I've had a play for an hour and am not convinced by the sound quality so far, it sounds a little 'synthy'. Read great things about Melodyne, haven't tried it yet; although workflow does not look as slick as Tune's. Anyway, feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Waves Tune vs Melodyne Bridge

Hi,

Melodyne works great, far superior to anything else available, but does require a learning curve!! you can't just transfer into melodyne and press 1 button to fix, you often have to cut the waveforms where the pitch changes are manually and move them around a bit, but the end results can be miraculous.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:03 AM

This is a cop out answer, but both are great and have their advantages.

Melodyne's amazing in that you can fill your whole screen with its interface and perform virtual miracles.

Waves Tune I find better when you want to just paint in the right notes. Sometimes on the front of a word if the singer just blew it, you can paint in a straight line with Waves Tune and then add a touch of its artificial vibrato and the results seem to be cool every time.

You can't lose with either of these and it shows that we've really moved along in this area in the last few years.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:55 AM

Waves Tune is the king of tracking difficult material. I mix a fair bit of live Music, and Tune does a great job with vocals that have a lot of trashy leakage. Nothing else tracks nearly as well.

I use Melodyne when I want to groove vocals or make sure vocals are moving in perfect sync with other vocals, both pitch and timing. Melodyne is great for creating harmonies.

For straight up tuning jobs, I prefer Waves Tune.

STeve
Old 05-18-2006, 01:22 PM

Thanks for replies. What do you think of Tune's 'sound' though? I thought it sounded a bit grainy especially on formant corrected mode, but maybe I need to tweak it more...

And do you find Melodyne Bridge works now in PT7 - I noticed people were having problems a few months ago?
Old 05-18-2006, 02:40 PM

I used Tune daily for about two months. I was so impressed with it over, ahem, the former tuning champion plug, that I overlooked its flaws. Then I tried the fantastic Melodyne 3, and haven't touched Tune much since. But Tune really is a great plug.

The only problem that I hear with Tune is I believe created by its default correction settings. It tries to correct every single note to whatever key the song is in, whereas Melodyne doesn't change anything unless you tell it to. If you make Tune only change things that bug you in the performance, you'll have far less grain and synthetic-ness. Turn those knobs all the way down and then start, and you'll have a much better sounding result.

As far as Melodyne playing nice with PT7--well, Melodyne crashes at least twice a day for me. I save about every minute now. But it does what it does perfectly.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:56 PM

Captain Crunch thanks; I take 'on board' the point about less-is-more, I'll try it with less correction.

I noticed one major thing with Tune though, and that is it can't handle tempo changes on the timeline. It glitches the audio every time there is a tempo change, and it doesn't have to be a big tempo change to do this, it can be a very small change; that is quite a disappointment.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
What do you think of Tune's 'sound' though? I thought it sounded a bit grainy especially on formant corrected mode, but maybe I need to tweak it more...
Like AutoTune, Tune tries to anticipate vibrato nodes. I have found that there are better ways of dealing with vibrato, and Tune allows me to tweak just the way I want (I'm not giving away all my secrets), and when I do, it sounds fantastic. If you master Tune, the quality is first rate. Melodyne also sounds great, and also requires learning all the tricks as well.

My experience was somewhat opposite of another post, where I was always using Melodyne until I discovered what Tune can do. It was a big motivation to stay with-in ProTools.

STeve
Old 05-18-2006, 03:27 PM

I think the tempo thing is a known bug. The short term fix is to copy to audio into another session with no tempo changes and then export the fixed version back again. Not ideal, but it works.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:06 PM

I use Melodyne with ReWire. The Bridge doesn't sync well with Pro Tools and the transport functions are a bit funky. With ReWire, even though, as another post mentioned, it crashes fairly frequently, it works and sounds great as long as it is running. As long as you save often it's not that big of a deal to reboot it quickly. As was also mentioned, it is amazing for matching phrasing of lead and backup voc's. Pretty damn cool tool.