Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 06-07-2013, 04:37 PM

Default Help with new Mbox 3 Mini

Hello,

I recently got my Mbox 3 Mini hooked up, and noticed I'm running into the same problem as many others. When the mix knob is turned all the way to the left, I can only hear my guitar coming through out of one speaker.

Some details:

1. I am using a mono track, not stereo.
2. There is a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter on my headphones, but it is stereo.
3. I am going direct out of my POD into the Mbox line 1.

I emailed Avid support, and they gave me the basic recording instructions (create a mono track, adjust mix level, mute track, then record, etc) but haven't gotten back to me yet about the issue of audio only coming through one ear when i have the mix turned hard left. This used to happen on my old mbox, but I had a mono button I was able to press to fix it.

Is it possible to fix this?

Using OSX 10.7, Macbook Pro i5 2.4ghz, Pro Tools Express

Last edited by 62caster; 06-07-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Help with new Mbox 3 Mini

There are work arounds involving adapters and other such stuff but no, there is no mix knob. No way to fix it, just a design flaw.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-07-2013, 09:47 PM

That's really disappointing to hear. So I'm pretty much stuck hearing myself record through one ear?

I've tried un-muting the track I'm recording with and placing the mix knob in the middle, but the latency delay between the dry signal in the left ear, and signal coming from pro tools in the right is too much.

I've also tried un-muting and putting the mix knob hard right so all I hear is the PT signal, but the latency is again too much.

Any other thoughts/opinions/specific work around solutions?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 PM

Not sure exactly what Model Pod you have.

So the obvious thing is to run the Pod output L to the Mbox 01 input and R to 02. On a Pod you just need two TRS-TRS or TS-TS cables. That at least gives you a stereo direct hardware monitoring path. Make a stereo track if you want in Pro Tools.

Since you are already on headphoes while you are playing/tracking can you monitor from the Pod? or is here a backing or click track you are trying to play to? Use open headphones so you can hear that from your monitors while hearing the guitar in the headphones. Just get the levels set first and then monitor from the Pod.

Darryl
Old 06-07-2013, 10:20 PM

Other advice is sell the lot and get an Eleven Rack....

Darryl
Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 PM

Hey all, just circling back on this in case anybody else runs into it. I sent the Mbox back to Avid and got a replacement - issue solved!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caster View Post
Hey all, just circling back on this in case anybody else runs into it. I sent the Mbox back to Avid and got a replacement - issue solved!
Ok, cool, but I must ask: how did another mbox mini unit solve the problem with the nonexistent "mono-button-function" (as it worked with the original mbox 1gen)? I also own a mbox3 mini and I use the regular workaround (monitor direct sound in stereo).