Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Angry PT8 and the Flickering Waveforms

Digi, PLEASE fix this issue. It drives me nuts. Every time I am editing at a level other than the default the waveforms disappear then reappear. It's to the point where I lose my place in the edit window. I have seen this on both Mac and PC. Does this have anything to do with the slow scrolling which is 2nd on my hatelist
I understand this is basically version 1 of a new UI but this issue was not there in version 5.1 ->7.4. Why is it here in 8?
Please make this a priority fix as I am getting seasick evertime I grid edit (I grid edit alot) I know I am not the only one that feels this way as I have talked to many PT engineers about this very topic.

Sorry about the rant, but I just blew my pizza into the garbage from sea sickness and I am feeling a little uneasy

Kris
May the music move you
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM

Default Re: PT8 and the Flickering Waveforms

This bothers me a little, not as much as it does you, but it would be good to see a fix.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 PM

Agreed +1

-Justin
Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Space Cabin Audio

I found this explanation in the Mac TDM forum.......

Quote:
.... in order to maximize scrolling speed and UI responsiveness, minimize memory usage, and maximize playback performance, PT 8 sometimes dynamically loads audio waveforms in the background as you expose new parts of the audio at certain zoom levels. Normally this happens transparently to the user, but occasionally it becomes visible at zoomed-in zoom levels when scrolling or zooming. When this happens, you may occasionally see a blank waveform in the region for a brief moment while the waveform data is loaded.

Paul Vercellotti
Digi Engineering

Kris
May the music move you
Old 01-22-2009, 01:05 AM

Hmm... I wonder if it's worth it?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Hmm... I wonder if it's worth it?
I wonder if there is any way to have the best of both worlds? It's to the point where I have to have to partitions at all times. One for 7.4 and one for 8. I have to use 7.4 for editing and 8 for everything else.

PT made it's name by being one of (read THE) best audio editor in the world. This is not true anymore in PT8. Maybe if you just moving regions around its ok, but what about grid editing an entire song? Drums, Bass, 6-8 guitars, or any acoustic instrument? When you zoom in and tab, the files disappear then reappear. Although this only takes a second or two imagine editing a 6 minute metal song that is full of 16th notes and triplets? Then imagine a tempo of 176. Then add up that second or two for each TAB to TRANS. You will begin to see where I'm going. We are talking way to much wasted time. My clients are used to a certain speed of editing and I intend to deliver in a certain amount of time.

Digi, is there any way we could resolve this issue so that it gets the best of both worlds?

Kris
May the music move you