Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 06-06-2019, 12:02 PM

Default TC on BWF exports sometimes incorrect

Using PT 2019 on Mac Pro 5-1 Mojave OS.

I record several 2 track stems together at 48kHz, 24 bit; then consolidate each track pair to make new media. The files are then renamed. I use the "export clips as files" function to create interleaved BWAV's for the editor to lay-back.

Occasionally, the exported files seem to have different start timecodes to the session. If I check in the session, all files are at the same timeline position, while showing the same original time stamp for the clips. All the files are the same duration.

Randomly, one or two of the seven clips I export are TC stamped differently to all the rest. This can vary from a few frames to several seconds, sometimes ahead, sometimes behind.
I'm having to check the mixes with a third party programme before sending to the editor.

In the last six years of using PT HD10, I have never seen this issue before.

Last edited by Badger540; 06-11-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Re: TC on BWF exports sometimes incorrect

We're seeing the same issue on multiple MacPro6,1 systems running Pro Tools 2019.5 on Mac OS 10.14.5.

Engineers are consolidating clips in place to send dialogue to a mixer. The clips show the correct timestamps in the originating Pro Tools session but when loaded into a different session they spot to the wrong timecode.

The issue's totally intermittent - when we create two clips at the same position one right after the other, one may have the flaw while the other doesnt.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 AM

Default Re: TC on BWF exports sometimes incorrect

I reported this same problem last week in the POST-PRODUCTION forum:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405570

The only way we're able to make start times what they're supposed to be is open the file with Sound Device's app., WaveAgent. https://www.sounddevices.com/product/wave-agent/ It's free and allows you to edit the start time.

BTW, if you try to re-import the BWF and spot it in your timeline, you will see USER TIME as the correct TC, but that listed START TIME is incorrect.

We've been working this way for 10+ years and just recently started having this problem. Using Mac OS High Sierra and Pro Tools 2019.6. Reverted back to 2019.5 and deleted all prefs, which changed nothing. Problem still exists.