Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-05-2011, 04:57 PM

Default Busses not recalled correctly when reopening sessions

Hello all. This is my first time posting so excuse me if I don't have proper forum etiquette.

Well anyway...... I have had this problem pretty much since day one when PT9 was released. I have been working around it and trying to be patient while I waited for updates but its been several updates and I haven't seen anything to address this problem.

My problem is that when I use the new feature to bus tracks to other tracks via the sub menu that automatically routes and names your busses. I randomly I will re open a session and all of my busses are changed to different tracks. For instance a group of guitars that I had bussed to an aux will be rerouted directly to my reverb aux and so on. at first I thought that it may be that some settings got messed up and I just needed to reinstall PT, but I just built a new computer a few weeks ago and had to reinstall everything, and the problem it still there. I cant trust my saves anymore and the band that I'm mixing right now has 90+ tracks all bussed to different sub mixes with many effects busses and this bug makes you want to die when you haft to fix all those routings every time you open a session.

I have searched many times for other people having this problem and I haven't found anything. I could just be searching wrong but I cant find one single article addressing this issue. Does anyone have any ideas for what I should try?

Thanks,
Kerie Roark
Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Big Problem With Busses!!!!!

Hi,

Have you tried deleting Preferences and Databases?

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...nd_Preferences
Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Busses not recalled correctly when reopening sessions

Yes. That was the first thing I tried. Also like I said, I have a new computer with a fresh install of everything and I didn't retain any preferences.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM

I think i have a similar problem. I'm in PT 9.03 HD (OSX 10.6.6) and trying to finish a mix i started in PT 8.03 (OSX 10.5.8)

All the files, tracks, buses and plugins are there and the hardware is working correctly but when i play the session it sounds terrible. It's like all the volume levels are messed up, probably due to buses not routed correct.
What's an easy way to fix this without having to write down every tracks plugin, volume and routing settings and start from scratch with importing tracks in a blank session?

Thanks..
Old 12-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Thats what i've had to do. When this happens I write down what busses everything is routed to and there levels, Then I save a copy of the session, Then I set my busses to default so they are not named, Then I just go through and re assign new busses and don't assign names to the busses. It seems like it happens more when the busses are named for example VERB instead of bus 1-2. It is a very annoying problem and can take hours to fix. Plus if I open up a session and just need to bounce out a song, I can never be sure that the mix I'm hearing is the mix I did unless I go through and check everything manually.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:08 PM

Hmm sounds very time consuming
Do you know if this would fix the problem? Opening the session on the PT8 system again and renaming all the busses back to default, then saving it and go back to the PT9 system.

The other thing is probably to install PT8 on a second system on a new partition and run the PT8 sessions on there instead of switching my cards back and forth between computers.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:18 PM

Anyone have an explanation for why it's changing the routing and what's new in the 9 and 10 I/O compared to earlier versions?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:44 PM

That would drive me crazy. Have you considered importing into a fresh session? I've had the odd corruption of sessions in the past and I found that importing into a new session can sometimes set things straight. You don't appear to have a file corruption problem - just a data corruption issue.

Alain
Old 12-07-2011, 06:30 PM

Great idea Alain, thanks.
I'll try it tomorrow..
Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the reply Alain. I have tried that before but with no luck. It happens randomly and on new and old sessions alike. You are right. It would drive anyone crazy. especially when I have clients waiting for there songs and I keep getting side tracked by this instead of just getting work done.