Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Protools LE and the fight of its life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erthquake View Post
You mean like this?

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741

It think it comes down to having great musicians, engineers, and producers who make the music (not fame, money, accolades) come first. Great music takes great effort.
Great to see this one again. This will be one of those internet classics.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego View Post
Is it like what you're talking about?
Brilliant and pretty creative!

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-14-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Like maybe we could all play in the same room at the same time? Make eye contact and interact musically....
At the very least track the beds like that. That alone puts alot of the life in it. I was workin' on a fellow DUCer to lay down all their beds in the same manner as there style of music would benefit greatly from it. Looks like they're gonna do it. They'll notice an immediate difference when they compare it to their snap to grid demos.

Shane

Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Brilliant and pretty creative!
Just in case you'd like to know where it all started ;-)
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego View Post
Is it like what you're talking about?
Which it? Hehehe..

I actually dig their stuff. I have done stuff like that before, and it can be an absolute blast to do! And I love how they did the videos. This is the ingenious side of music that I love.. along with alot of other music as well.

Now.. imagine if they had simply bought an app, listened to the included loops, and assembled the beds from that. And then she sang some lines, autotuned the piss out of it, time corrected everything, etc. IMO, it would be completely different, and would have lost most of what makes it.. IT.

Now consider the person who hears that and dismisses is as complete crap. They then listen to a song on itunes that has been just as I said in the previous bit (assembled prefab loops, autotune piss, time corrected robot phrasing, etc), and they love THAT. We all have diffeerent tastes.

Of course, "forced listening" (paid overplay on radio, MTV, etc) can alter the events with the sheep. The sheep outnumber the satellite pack(s). Sheep=cash. From the sheep's perspective, things are quite different. While I may not like some things, I know it will always be there.. it always has (in different forms and densities of proliferation). I describe one type fo music with disgust, while another I describe with a child's smile and awe.

In the end, it is simply a matter of using what feels good. If "what feels good" is what you think you need because of what others' have stated, implied, etc.. so be it. If it is a singularity.. something unique that so very, very few will ever "get"... so be it. And if it is a simple matter of regurgitating with variation.. so be it. There is no "best" for all, only a best for "self." "Good" and "bad" are on the path toward and away from "best," and such is a path only a "self" can ever walk. Simply using what immediately feels best can be fine.. but, it can also be a great idea to allow inspiration (through words, music, whatever) to move you to a new position.. a new angle from which to view things. And thus that path to "best" may produce forks.. wonderous sights.. and way-stations where the greatest laughter, smiles, and heated anger or lakes of tears may come to be.

Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about. Or bite a certain lifesaver in the dark with a friend Someone else's tale of the experience.. well... for some, that is simply, and completely, enough. For true artists.. the resulting tale/expression is.. divine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
My new favorite quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:46 AM

Well, I started guitar playing when I was 12...long, long time ago....

What I want to say is, that I am a musician, not an engineer! I came to Protools some years ago, because my job and extensive travelling prevented me to play with people, i.e. in a band.
That is rather unfortunate, because for me the best thing that could happen is playing with people, and when there is deep understanding and communication on a musical level, then... while playing all the egos disappear and the song remains. That is for me the best thing that could happen, not sitting behind a computer, which can be a creativity killer depending how it works.

Although I have to say that when I got PT some years ago I was up and running within half an hour and could record. I am grateful that I have PT right now because it is a great tool to capture ideas. I wished it wouldn't be necessary to tend to this "finicky princess" so often!
Well, one danger is that you get sucked into the software-VI-loop-plugin-lala-land. But as I am from the "old school"and play instruments, I still value music more as an art, as communication, as a way to express whatever wants to be expressed.
Music is coming from the heart, NOT from the computer.

PS: My system drive just got shot!! Hours of entertainment! Thanks God for Acronis!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
In the end, it is simply a matter of using what feels good. If "what feels good" is what you think you need because of what others' have stated, implied, etc.. so be it. If it is a singularity.. something unique that so very, very few will ever "get"... so be it. ...
Exactly. What we generally get paid for is what feels good to both ourselves and others. The way we efficiently learn what feels good to both ourselves and others is live performance.

This is fundamental to entertainment. Entertainment, i.e. involving others in a pleasurable experience.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
Theres' more to it than that— especially in PT8. We know it, Digi know it.
of course, and there's more to it in any other daw as well. however, given propellerheads consistent history of near-bulletproof releases, i'm taking the liberty of assuming similar stability/robustness for the reason/record combo.

so with that aside, consider that vst's would appear to be the most prevalent plugin format by far, with everyone and their mother coding their own plugins (many available for free). the reason "what new plugin?" is one of the first questions asked is because it's been time-tested as one of the most likely culprits (i've dealt with primarily vst-based daws for over a decade now, i have a fair amount of experience with this one).

pt has actually tended to be one of the least troublesome in this regard, in my experience. of course, it usually just moves plugs it has problems with so it's much less likely to blow up...

kell
Old 05-15-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
Now I agree to some degree with some of what you are saying, but it seems odd to me that you hang out in a pro tools forum talking about how great propellerhead is and how bad pro tools is and how its bad to look at computer monitors while recording music. It seems an unlikely place to find common ground in a pro tools forum when one doesn't want to look at a computer monitor while recording and editing music.
well, it's all just context. many musicians simply have no interest in being engineers. the thing is, that a lot of these sort of folks are having to use daws like protools...which, for them are less than ideal, or "bad", simply because they seem overcomplicated and are geared toward engineers versus musicians in terms of workflow.
many of us here are pro/semi/aspiring engineers that also don the "creative hat" in our free time, so we can appreciate this sentiment.
however, for serious tweaking/mixing...it would be the exact opposite scenario. so, it just happens to depend on whether you're wearing your "engineer" hat, or your "musician" hat.

insofar as "looking at the monitor"...well, i think we're all music lovers too, and there isn't much exciting about overquantized sterile programmed/autotuned music with no dynamic range. likewise hearing the same stock daw loop content (or someone else's music) looped ad nauseum. seeing the grid and having the tools to correct any error in pitch, etc, just makes it too tempting to quantize and make everything perfect, and kill anything that was exciting or "alive" in the music to begin with. unfortunately, it's what many music loving engineers are forced to do to pay the bills...

kell