Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-30-2012, 03:44 PM

Default Feedback when pressing record in PT 9 on OS 10.8.2

Hi All....

I am baffled, and am seeking some guidance. I had PT 9.0.5 on my PC and all worked well. I shifted to an iMAC with ML 10.8.2. Pro Tools installed fine, boots fine, recognizes the Fastrak Pro. I get sound through the system, out my monitors and it is clean.....however, the moment I hit the record button, I get feedback and distortion....unclick record and it sounds fine. Additionally, previously recorded sessions done on the PC, but played on the PT installed on the iMAC have the same distortion when playing the .ptf track. All cabling and equipment hook up is exactly the same. I moved the usb for the Fastrak from the PC to the iMAC, and moved the iLok from the PC to the iMAC....thats it.

I have seen many people on here talk about compatibility issues, but they all seem to be around installation, but not around technical use as I have described so I am completely baffled......any thoughts?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Feedback when pressing record in PT 9 on OS 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthewdoyle@yahoo.com View Post
Hi All....

I am baffled, and am seeking some guidance. I had PT 9.0.5 on my PC and all worked well. I shifted to an iMAC with ML 10.8.2. Pro Tools installed fine, boots fine, recognizes the Fastrak Pro. I get sound through the system, out my monitors and it is clean.....however, the moment I hit the record button, I get feedback and distortion....unclick record and it sounds fine. Additionally, previously recorded sessions done on the PC, but played on the PT installed on the iMAC have the same distortion when playing the .ptf track. All cabling and equipment hook up is exactly the same. I moved the usb for the Fastrak from the PC to the iMAC, and moved the iLok from the PC to the iMAC....thats it.

I have seen many people on here talk about compatibility issues, but they all seem to be around installation, but not around technical use as I have described so I am completely baffled......any thoughts?
You didn't just install software right and hope it will work? You also did the standard optimizations (documented along with the install instructions that came with the product) you need to do for any Pro Tools system? Oh no? (read on...)

---

What are you recording - a mic? Line level input? Is something connected to that input? The number one cause of feedback, is well feedback, a live mic (could be on the Macbook?) feeding back from the audio monitors.

In case its a USB problem.. what exact iMac? With USB3 or USB2? Just for a test can you try with a USB 2 hub between the USB3 port and the Fasttrack interface.

We need much more information. Start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above. Describe your iMac, including all the drive specs and make clear what you are using for the separate audio session drives. Also follow the standard troubleshooting and optimization steps linked to on that page.

Describe exactly what optimization and troubleshooting steps you have done on this Mac if you need to come back here for help (you need to go do all the optimization steps now...)

What exact device do you have set as the Playback Engine in Pro Tools (you are not trying to use an aggregate IO device are you?).

Darryl