Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2009, 10:28 AM

Default Avid Mojo Hardware: Won't play MXF?

Have a Mojo setup on a newly installed Mac Pro system. In the initial tests the system behaved fine and MXF based video worked great.

Suddenly on the first session - the Mojo stops working. Reconnect, reboot. Still not working. Import a QT DV of the same video file, and that works (although it looks a little staggered) -- but the hardware will not play mxf files...

Again, the hardware is 'working' and pro tools sees it: the QT will pass, but the material that was digitized to avid video using a mojo will not work. I went back to my test session with Avid video (that worked previously) and the same problem: it suddenly does not work (passes no video).

Any ideas? I'm hoping it's something stupid I just overlooked.

\\V
Old 07-07-2009, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Avid Mojo Hardware: Won't play MXF?

Hi Vince,
The mojo only supports some codes. Make sure you are using a supported codec. PT capture natively avid DV 25 codec and that's the most common codec used in PT.
Best,
Brandon
Old 07-07-2009, 03:58 PM

Hi Vince,

make shure there is nothing else than the mojo connected to any internal firewire port (400 & 800). It should work fine with the recorded videofiles. we are doing this all the time and it is very stable. The recorded video codec is DV wrapped in mxf but with some special avid bits.

My2cents

Jochen
Old 07-07-2009, 05:44 PM

Yeah, the material was digitized from tape by the mojo and plays (and played yesterday) on another stage with Mojo hardware.

The mojo is the only firewire device connected to the Mac Pro...

I managed to "fix" it- although I'm going to have to do some further investigation. When there was a brief break in the action I jumped in and created a new session to see if i created a blank vid track if it gave me the option to record (thus proving PT actually saw the hardware).

That worked, so i tried to just import a mojo track from another session into this clean, new session-- and suddenly THAT worked. So I went back to the "non working" session and planning just to blow off all the vid tracks and reimport the video to see what happens...

When I deleted the 2 visible video tracks, suddenly I had picture. There was a 3rd track that was hidden, and THAT one worked. Now I was toggling the active status of the other tracks- but having multiple tracks seemed to prevent it from playing-- so I need to do some tests and figure out what is going on.

Thanks for the tips guys!

\\V
Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 AM

Hi Vince.

We had a similar problem. Are there any other video files in the session? If there are remove these from the session. A track delete alone won't cure this. Select the files in the region list and remove. You can then import the video file and spot to tc position as normal. The staggering Quicktime picture may be because there is no video reference going to the ref in of the mojo. A workaround is to open up a MXF based session and track arm the video track. This wakes up the Mojo for some strange reason. Also the Mojo has a tendancy to fall asleep. Unplug the mains from the Mojo and power up .

Hope that helps

Paul McFadden
Supervising Sound Editor
Doctor Who

www.bangpostproduction.com