Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Incoming Network Bug - AVID Please Fix!

i just thought it´s good to know for everyone with this issue (including myself) that Avid is aware of it. Some do not read the ReadMe file.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 09-18-2013, 05:37 AM

had this issue, too

I´ve turned off system-firewall and installed this little tool called "Little Snitch"

Now I have much more control over network activities and no more such annoying messages

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Another intermittent one, that is... happens to some but not others.

protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Fix-PT11-Firewall-Exception/111660-3779

Reviewing the bug report I see that some had better success manually adding Pro Tools to the Firewall Exceptions List instead of clicking Allow when launching PT. See http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11309 for instructions.

Please let me know if this makes any difference for you.

Thank you!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:19 PM

Hello, unfortunately for me none of the suggestions from Apple make any difference. I don't understand why 10 is ok and 11 is not? ;(
Old 10-04-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchel View Post
Hello, unfortunately for me none of the suggestions from Apple make any difference. I don't understand why 10 is ok and 11 is not? ;(
Does not work for me too!
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 10-05-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiii View Post
Does not work for me too!
Same here!

Over & out...
Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 AM

My system firewall asks me too if I want to allow PT11 to have network access.

I have some experience with the OS X application firewall so I believe I know what is causing this behaviour.
It's basically a security function that notifies the user that the code or a resource of the app has been changed. Apps on OS 10 are basically folders which contain code, other stuff and a secure description of the intended content of the app-container.
The system checks on every app-launch if something differs to the secure app-description and if so then the system comes up with this firewall question. So the user gets actually informed that an app was maybe hacked and therefore it is not safe to use it until it is clear why the app isn't exactly as the developer described it with the codesign mechanism.

Everybody can verify apps with the system codesign app in Terminal.app or by using the third-party application CodeSignChecker.
I did the codesign validation for the PT app file in the installation disk image and there everything was ok (no changes since Avid has coded the app). Then I checked the copy of the app on my system (after installation and after first launch). This is the information I got from the codesign validation about PT11:
Code:
a sealed resource is missing or invalid
In architecture: x86_64
resource added: /Applications/Pro Tools.app/Contents/Resources/DigiReg.file
This is the reason why the app-firewall doesn't stop asking (warning) about PT11. One resource inside the app has changed since the installation.
So what happened? I'm sure that Pro Tools isn't been hacked but there seems to be a routine in the PT code that gets active after the first time the application was launched and then modifies a resource of the Pro Tools application.

I don't know why it doesn't happen to all PT11 users. Maybe the routine that causes the change of the app (in my chase a change of the DigiReg.file) only happens in some software / hardware configurations but don't on others.

If Avids developers read this: Please check your launch routines inside of Pro Tools. One of them changes the app bundle content and this causes this security issue.

btw: several developers have struggled with Apples codesign security mechanism and the result was always that the users are constantly getting this firewall-question. Even Apple had problems with this on some iTunes releases in the past!!!
The problem is not that this happens. It's for security! But the problem is that Apple never provided easy to understand explanations in that firewall-question.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 AM

I don't see this at all in PT 11.0.2 on the system in my sig file. What I did have happen was PT 11.0.2 crashed (actually 'program not responding' when right clicking on the icon in the Dock) when I disconnected my Ethernet cable. I didn't need the connection anymore (I had it for syncing my iLok) so I just pulled the connection and then PT stopped working.

On subsequent restarts of 11.0.2 with the Ethernet cable disconnected there were no problems. I never use the Apple OSX firewall.

PT 10.3.7 has never shown this problem.

QAPLA!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:21 AM

Hi, yes I actually explained all of what you mentioned recently to Avid technical support.
I too read up on various forums for validating apps etc etc and came up with the same results.

Avid dudes...stick a fix in the NEXT UPDATE! Plz.

Cheers
Old 10-10-2013, 03:25 PM

Post Re: Incoming Network Bug - AVID Please Fix!

Thanks for the feedback. Avid Eng has found the cause and we should be able to get a fix out soon.