Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 PM

Default best g5 for older pci accel system?

I know this has been discussed, but i can't seem to find the thread in the new search system that finds everything all the time, so i apologize for the repost

I would like to replace my trusty G4 1.25 DP, which seems to bog down under 7.2, with the best G5 that I can, short of upgrading my PCI HD accel cards. I am sure that a there is a card upgrade in my future, but I don't want to pay a lot of money for an architecture change that won't increase the performance at all. I did this once before, when I moved from Nubus to PCI and it was a waste of money. I would like to wait until there is a real reason to change the cards, like a new system from digi.

in the meantime, i need some advice about which G5 to look for. I am sure there are ones to avoid, but I have no idea.

Many thanks!

www.tompaul.com
Old 11-16-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Re: best g5 for older pci accel system?

I have an HD2 in a 2G G5 (3.5G RAM; 160/160 SATA drives). This handles everything well and I run a bunch of RTAS instruments etc without choking. HOWEVER, the fan noise is 'plane taking off in near vicinity' level. It sits in a not-so-quiet box and fan noise is still a problem. So, if you could put this model in a machine room, you'd be fine. You can put a couple of big SATA drives in - no worries.

Despite your not wanting to go PCIe due to ourageous digidesign costs (I commiserate), we got a new MAc Pro for video work. Goodness! it goes so fast and is bloody silent (the only noise is the DVD noise when the disk is spinning). I would change my PCI to PCIe cards in a second and buy a Mac Pro if it wasn't for the highway robbery involved in the exchange price.
HTH
L
Old 11-16-2006, 02:42 PM

I have a 2.5 gig G5 that I'm very happy with. Plus all my PCI stuff works perfectly fine. I used to have a quicksilver with a dual 1.8 gig processor, but this is definitely a step up from that.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:30 PM

Dual G5 2.7 was the last machine with the regular PCI slots I believe. I've had one for about a year and it's been great. I can run multiple VI's and RTAS plugs without any problems. They still pop up from time to time on the Apple Story refurb site -- my studio "neighbor" just happened upon one there a few weeks ago.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:53 PM

I have a Dual 2.7 and for the most part it has been good. I have had some of the documented faulty ribbon connector errors that occur just after launching ProTools. Certain 2.7s and 2.3s were suppose to have this problem due to changes in the PCI buss. Late model 2.7s were suppose to not have this problem, but I do anyway (it usually just requires a reboot). The Dual 2.5 were suppose to be totally free of this problem. If I was going to buy a used Mac on eBay, I would look for a Dual 2.5. I doubt very much if you could even tell the difference in speed between the 2.5 and the 2.7.

STeve
Old 11-16-2006, 07:12 PM

I just upgraded my HD rig to a DP 2.7 with my HD core and HD process cards. Both cards recognized, no problem...which is great since I had recognition issues that developed with my G4 I will say that this it is a noisy damn machine, even compared to my trusty old G4 1.25, which I got to run pretty quiet. Does anyone know if Apple has a Firmware update for this G5? I know the various G4 Firmware ups helped a lot.

THX

Wilson Dyer mpse

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 11-16-2006, 08:08 PM

tomcat,
I have a G5 Dual 2.3ghz with PCI-X slots, 4.5gig of ram, SATA 250gig system drive, SATA 400gig Audio Drive, G5 Jive SATA Drive chassis with two SATA 400gig drives for project backup and sample storage, 2 external Firewire DVD/CDR's, and the CPU is connected to a Magam 7 Slot, 33mhz Expansion Chassis with 1 HD Core card, 1 HD Accel card, and 5 HD Process cards and my system has been rock solid. There has been problems as one of the other replies stated, that the cards may not show up and show a ribbon cable fault/error in early 2005 model G5 2.3ghz and G5 2.7ghz. I didn't and haven't had any problems with my cards or ribbon cables at all. However, Digi says the problem can be rectified by having your cards exchanged or updated free of charge if your hardware is registered. Although, I believe your cards still have to be covered under warranty but I could be wrong about that.
Randy
Mac Pro Early 2009 2.66 Quad 16gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.8, HD6 Accel, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Euphonix MC Transport, Logic 9 Studio, Apogee Big Ben, Eight HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Tube Tech CL1B, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Manley Slam!, ELOP, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2's & Nails, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Black Lion, Warm Audio, Dynaudio
Old 11-17-2006, 01:45 PM

thanks all. this is very helpful.

www.tompaul.com
Old 11-17-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I have an HD2 in a 2G G5 . HOWEVER, the fan noise is 'plane taking off in near vicinity' level. It sits in a not-so-quiet box and fan noise is still a problem.
I also use a G5 dual 2.0 and the noise level is very low, and it has been working great for me.

HD Core + Accel + HD Process
PT 7.1
Old 11-17-2006, 02:24 PM

One other option, and maybe someone can confirm the validity of this, but it may be possible to upgrade to a Mac Pro, and use a digidesign chassis hd, or a magma chassis with your old pci-x cards. The reason for this being that it is the pci connection card between the chassis and the cpu is what matters, not necessarily the cards in the chassis. Although the chassis can still be expensive depending on which one you buy, it is certainly less than the outrageous crossgrade path digi is offering.
PT 11 HDN
Omni