Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2013, 04:28 PM

Default I need some help to build my home studio !

Hi, I got a free room in my house so I think it's a good to move my home studio ( that is actually in my chamber ) downstair.

The room is empty so I guess it's better for the acoustic treatment.

I want to know what do I need to buy ? And if you can give me some price range ? Or tricks ? etc...

Presently I have :

Eleven Rack
Pro Tools 8 LE
M-AUDIO Studiophile AV-40
Rode NT-1
A good computer (i7 / 16GB Ram / 2 HD / 2GB HD VIDEO CARD)
Nocturn 25 midi Keyboard
Audio-Technica ATH-50
Nikon D3100
Gibson LesPaul Studio
Acoustic Guitar Takamine

I think the best investment for the beggining is some foam ? Vocal booth ? Stand for my monitor ?

Here's some picture of my room :

Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Re: I need some help to build my home studio !

I suggest you go visit the John slayer website, lots of info there and maybe even someone or two in your area that will be able to help you out physically.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-10-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
I suggest you go visit the John slayer website, lots of info there and maybe even someone or two in your area that will be able to help you out physically.
My first suggestion as well^^^. Next, I would skip the foam route. Do some flat panels with Owens-Corning 703 or 705(simple wood frame with jute fabric pulled over and stapled on the back). Auralex has some corner panels that might be worth a look(3-4 in each corner so you treat top to bottom).(corner foam doesn't help at real bass frequencies). Send the Nt1 to Michael Joly(oktavamod.com) and when it comes back, it will be a really good mic(been there, done that). And, I would also improve your monitoring with better speakers(small Adams, Dynaudio or maybe the new JBL monitors). With decent acoustic treatment and better speakers, you will hear more accurately(which means you will make much better EQ and mix adjustments for a better final product). If you have any cash left over, add a couple more mics(always good to have a pair of SM-57's for percussion or the odd acoustic instrument). The MXL V89 is another "no-brainer" for someone on a budget. Get good quality stands and cables too. On-Stage makes a decent HD boom stand(and you don't want your good vocal mic falling over and hitting the floor). Mogami cables if you can afford them(Monster are okay and have a lifetime warranty) or solder up your own with Nuetrik connectors and Mogami or Canare cable(bulk on eBay).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 PM

I wouldn't spit on the foam, for a Project-studio I did recently I used a Project 2 roominator kit. You'd be surprised how much it deadened the room, no more flutter echoes and it did help with the bass control. Is it perfect? Nope but for the price it did it's job outstandingly.

Get quality foam, it's not inexpensive, but do look at the specs compare them and go with what your budget allows you. You could always do it yourself too, but personally I'd avoid the pink stuff all together, get some roxul it will do a better job.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-11-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
I wouldn't spit on the foam, for a Project-studio I did recently I used a Project 2 roominator kit. You'd be surprised how much it deadened the room, no more flutter echoes and it did help with the bass control. Is it perfect? Nope but for the price it did it's job outstandingly.

Get quality foam, it's not inexpensive, but do look at the specs compare them and go with what your budget allows you. You could always do it yourself too, but personally I'd avoid the pink stuff all together, get some roxul it will do a better job.
Don't get me wrong here. I have some foam as well(foambymail.com), but the biggest issue in a small room is going to be the low end, and foam won't do anything for frequencies below 300-400 Hz, while some fiberglass panels WILL help with reflections in higher freqs. 703 and 705 are actually yellow compressed(rigid) fiberglass and can often be found locally(I agree that regular fiberglass has little to offer). In my walls, I have all rock wool insulation in my walls, but the OP's walls are done. If you can find it(assuming roxul is the same), I agree that it should make good panels(having options is good). The Slayer site is a wealth of info, and regardless of what any of us offer here, you NEED to check that out(and weigh what you read here against what you read there). I'll never claim to be the last word on this. There's way more science involved than I can digest

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-11-2013, 10:15 AM

+1 for the John Sayers site, also the gearslutz acoustics and studio design section is very, very informative and has some really smart people who design/build studios for a living posting there what seems like daily.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?