Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 06:26 AM

Default Bouncing stereo track to mono

Hey Guys,

Originally I recorded all these electric guitar tracks in stereo (coming out the line 6).

But in mixdown, Im ending up panning the L and R to the same position as I try to give different sounds a home on the stereo pan.

So in this case, what is the point of Stereo? Is there any? Now that I'm running out of tracks, is there any reason why I shouldn't just merge the left and right as one, since they are in the same panning position anyways?

As well, what would be the easiest way to do this?

Thanks much,
CG
Old 09-20-2004, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Bouncing stereo track to mono

if you recorded from a mono source, there's no point, both files are the same, just select one of the two file, rename it and delete the other.
If you have a true stereo file, with two different files (you're not clear about that), a way to merge them is to route your stereo track to a mono aux thru a mono bus, you send this aux to the stereo out and you can use it this way or bounce your file (just solo it) if you miss tracks. Maybe there an easier way to do that. not sure.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:31 PM

I wish I could bounce to a track ... like the other program I used to 'walk' with. :P
Old 09-20-2004, 09:30 PM

Just bounce that one track to a mono file. Select that track and mute all others. Hiot Bounce to Disk and select mono. Import after bounce. Drag the new region into the session and deactivate the original stereo track.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-21-2004, 02:16 AM

If the two tracks are the same - then you can "split" them under the file menu "split selected tracks to mono" and then delete one.

If they are not the same and you need the program material on both tracks, create a new mono audio track, select an unused BUS for its input, take the stereo guitar parts and set the output of both tracks to the same bus. Put the the new mono track in record and record/play through the song.