Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Default MC Mix, Anyone..Do These Things Work?

I've been observing at a distance for a few months....on the one hand there seems to be a TON of problems with all this stuff, and yet, AVID has been very good about supporting older units with problems (displays, cracks) and supposedly redesigning them to be more stable.

While I'm sure there are bugs, what I want to know is this:

If you just want to program fades, and go into various automation modes in PT, do these things work?

I bought a Presonus Faderport to get my feet wet and it's a nightmare. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you program in a fade and it writes the fade, but the fader doesn't move....then ...oops! Now it's moving! All that kind of stuff.

Is the Euphonix this flakey? A real world report on mixing in PT (I don't care about plug ins, just faders!) would really be appreciated.

Thanks
TH
Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM

Default Re: MC Mix, Anyone..Do These Things Work?

I really dig mine and fader moves aren't a problem at all. People complain about how loud the motors are but it only really bugs me when the automation is really active making the faders work a lot.

Changing automation modes is a different story. To be honest this is one of my only gripes with the unit. I don't understand why they didn't put the SEL/ASSIGN and REC/AUTO buttons above the faders as opposed to beside them. I don't have big hands and even I find it difficult to touch these buttons without bumping a fader. Also when you do switch auto modes using the buttons the display is a little cryptic in letting you know what mode you're in. Plus there is no way to put a channel into trim mode from the surface, you gotta do it with the mouse which is a drag.

Like I said though, I really like mine. I don't change auto modes that much so it doesn't put me out a lot.

hope that helps,
JR
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 PM

JR: Which firmware are you running and are you running 2.6 yet? How long have you had yours? If you notice on my previous posts, I have been having problems and support has not really been any help. I returned mine today and exchanged it for another one. I'm gonna start from scratch tomorrow with installing everything and see what happens with fader calibration etc..

Let me know.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 AM

Last year about this time I purchased (3) MC MIX, (1) MC CONTROL V2, and (1) MC TRANSPORT...... to upgrade from my previous Control24. For me, I needed a system that would allow me to work in applications other than Pro Tools such as LOGIC and FINAL CUT. It's one thing to lay these things out on a desk surface, it's another to have a nice desk built to sink them into---when you do the later, it looks amazing and has a great work flow. To the units themselves, I never had a problem with them.....very stable, reliable, wonderful workflow, etc. The MC CONTROL V2 sped up my editing time 10-times in Final Cut, easily! In Pro Tools, I was much more fluent with how I work---which is dynamic and all over the place. Most of my productions would be around 80-100 channels of audio and revolve heavily around automation. It truly was the best control surface system I've owned.

I say "owned" because I sold off my entire studio after moving to Atlanta---I'm far too busy these days designing major systems and working directly with my clients that I just no longer have time for my own production :-( HOWEVER I'll be building a new house in a year or so and part of that plan is to build a complete production studio---most likely, I'll be doing this very same Euphonix system.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 AM

SB Mix, Just upgraded to 2.6 yesterday and outside of the font looking slightly different on the surface and the icon being black instead of green I haven't noticed any differences yet. The only reason I upgraded was because it looked liked there was a fix for a banking issue and I was hoping it was the one that would allow your tracks in PT to follow your banks on the surface, unfortunately it wasn't.

I've had mine for about 3 months now along with an MC Transport and they've worked well. Don't get me wrong I've got my little gripes with them here and there but for what I paid for them, I'm very happy.

JR

EDIT: I'm on firmware 1.4.1 but it seems there's an update to 1.4.5 which I'm about to do.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:28 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Wow I can finally post on this forum...

My Mc Mix with Logic works flawlessly. I keep it locked with logic and can use it on logic while I have Sibelius running the score, in sync with ReWire. Basically it makes it possible for me to control 2 softwares at once.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Last year about this time I purchased (3) MC MIX, (1) MC CONTROL V2, and (1) MC TRANSPORT...... to upgrade from my previous Control24. For me, I needed a system that would allow me to work in applications other than Pro Tools such as LOGIC and FINAL CUT. It's one thing to lay these things out on a desk surface, it's another to have a nice desk built to sink them into---when you do the later, it looks amazing and has a great work flow. To the units themselves, I never had a problem with them.....very stable, reliable, wonderful workflow, etc. The MC CONTROL V2 sped up my editing time 10-times in Final Cut, easily! In Pro Tools, I was much more fluent with how I work---which is dynamic and all over the place. Most of my productions would be around 80-100 channels of audio and revolve heavily around automation. It truly was the best control surface system I've owned.

I say "owned" because I sold off my entire studio after moving to Atlanta---I'm far too busy these days designing major systems and working directly with my clients that I just no longer have time for my own production :-( HOWEVER I'll be building a new house in a year or so and part of that plan is to build a complete production studio---most likely, I'll be doing this very same Euphonix system.

Hey Brad, thanks for the post. Wanted to see how efficient the faders are on the MC MIX compared to the C24?
Are the Artist Serious just as quick when riding faders in latch mode in Protools?
Or are they a bit clunky, slow, or slight delay?

Thanks