Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 01:32 AM

Default HUI protocol

Hi all,

This is "probably" not the right forum to post this in - but i have no idea of where else to do it.

Digi im using a Mackie MCU (yes, i bought it before the command 8 ...) and i was wondering what the chances are of you updating the HUI protocol to include the switching of plugin parameters to the motorized faders ? Right now im using the pan pots and its just not the same!

I have called Mackie to get them to fixed it in their software for the mackie, but they told me that it needed to be done i the HUI protocol.

best wishes and tx for 7.3 release - seems like i can run even more plugs ins now!
Old 12-09-2006, 02:01 AM

Default Re: HUI protocol

Bump ... anything digi?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:51 AM

Digi didn't write the HUI Protocol and it's not something you change, you just allow your software to use the STANDARD CREATED BY MACKIE PROTOCOL known as HUI .
A vendor does not add to the HUI Protocol it's already predefined.
It is the same as when it was first concieved and Mackie isn't going to change that since the HUI is a dead product and the MCU uses a different Protocol (they did add HUI emulation to it).
It's pretty much like the ADAT Protocol, already defined and vendors use it to allow their products to be functional with other vendors products.
If that is a feature you desire then the dumping the MCU and going with the Command 8 would be your option.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:55 PM

I ment the HUI driver, sorry. Not the HUI protocol. My mistake.

Buying the command 8 is of course an option (if i won the lottery), but since ProTools already support the HUI protocol and digidesign wrote the HUI driver in ProTools for it, i would like them to include the option of switching plugin parameters from the panpots to the motorized faders.

Im sure it can be done.
Question is: what is the cost of digidesign doing it and will they ...

Here the answer from mackie:

"Actually, that functionality needs to be programmed into the HUI driver within ProTools (actually written by Digidesign). An alternative would be to request that Digidesign support either the Mackie or Logic Control Protocol in addition to the HUI Protocol.

Thanks!

Technical Support
LOUD Technologies Inc.
800-898-3211
Mackie - TAPCO - Crate - Ampeg
"

Dont think that Digidesign is gonna support the Mackie nor Logic Control Protocol. So i would like them to include the option in their HUI driver.

Come on digi .. how about it?
Old 12-09-2006, 02:09 PM

Here is the Feature Request Form :

The read all of them. If there is a need for it and enough people ask then they usually consider it, so I'd get you and all the people you know to submit a request and then see.

I have no idea how hard it would be to add that feature to the drive, probably not too hard, but in my mind I don't see a company that is looking mostly into spending money into developing their own products and normally looking forward... this feature just doesn't seem like something that would be added now as they are probably developing future control surfaces right now and M-Audio gives you the kick ass Project Mix and a couple other control surfaces.

Good Luck though! You never know with Digi...
Old 12-09-2006, 04:23 PM

I guess neither of you have been around long enough to know how the Mackie Digi partnership fell apart on the Control surface HUI thing.
At any rate the HUI was originally a co-op project that Mackie took to the Emagic (Logic Control) and then it's own MC then MCU.
They tried to force Digi to support the MC Protocol and they wouldn't do it so Mackie added the HUI emulation to the MCU so it could work with PT.
They tried to make it a Digi problem but it never was.
Same as with what they are telling you.
The original HUI had a dedicated section for controlling plug-in parameters so the faders only flipped for controlling sends.
Unit that use the HUi Protocol (or Emulation) don't have all the dedicated knobs as the original HUI so the fader flip would be more functional to them.
Digi gave the Command the flip because it allowed more control with less real estate.
Since most major DAW's went to the MCU Protocol Mackie sees no reason to expand it since only PT would really benefit.
Digi is running heavy in it's controller developement so the HUI Protocol is something you support not grow.
Don't expect any change.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:20 AM

@gibson_sg:

Knowing digi - they wont change a thing! They force you to use their products (only fair i guess). But if so, then its much cheaper for me to keep my mackie and go with logic (wouldn't want to...)

@Forum Member LE:

Well i have actually been around for a couple of years and i do know of all the stuff with digi and mackie. My guess is that digi DID write the driver that implements the HUI protocol! And changing the CTRL/CLUTCH or another one, to flip parameters must be something they can do. But will they ? .... my money is on the NO

But its worth a try!
Old 12-10-2006, 03:00 AM

They don't force you to use anything, you are currently use a third party device that lacks a Digi feature.
If you want that feature you know how to get it.
It's not a driver it's actually just a profile to communicate with the HUI.
It just tellsit that the HUI is there and it as welll as any device using HUI emulation just uses a standard set of commands.
It's just telling it what button, knob or switch controls what HUI feature.
They are not writing a driver that's actually telling it what to do only how to do it.
Other than the SSL for ovious reasons, the HUI Protocol is unchanged when implemented.
If it's to be added Mackie would be the one to do it since vendors are already paying them to use the HUI Protocol.
Won't happen since Mackie's track record is pretty tarnished from past dealings (Digi, Logic, UAD as well as Greg Mackie himself have been screwed by them).

Can't see why going from the MCU to the Command would cost so much. Commands are $950-999 new and you can get a ok amount for MCU's, even more for the Extenders.