Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Default Authorization code wont work!

I have pro tools 8 LE for windows and my mp3 option for bouncing does not work. It says something about the mp3 option being expired. So I deleted the mp3 folder and reinstall the mp3 option. When I go to bounce, it asks my for serial number. the problem is that it is case sensitive. For some odd reason i type in a letter and it automatically is already in upper case. I tried everything to copy and paste but it still comes out upper case. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON! i have my authorization code and everything and it starts with "DIGI" then becomes lower case letters. I CANT PUT IN THOSE LOWER CASE, ITS NOT MY COMPUTER ITS THE PROGRAM!! WHAT THE HELL!? HELP!>!>!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Authorization code wont work!

the auth code you are trying to use is to install Pro Tools only and not for the mp3 option. The mp3 option you can download at the Avid site but it will cost you $20...there's no way around it.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:11 PM

If you want to save the 20 bucks there are free open source mp3 encoders on the net like LAME. A bit more trouble to use, but some people like them better.
http://lame.sourceforge.net/
Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
If you want to save the 20 bucks there are free open source mp3 encoders on the net like LAME. A bit more trouble to use, but some people like them better.
http://lame.sourceforge.net/
Totally agree. There are too many free or open source ways to get your files converted. My personal favorite is ffmpeg, but most of the time I use WinFF which is a front end GUI for the command line based ffmpeg. A real swiss army knife, ffmpeg converts almost anything to anything in both the video and audio world. For free.

As for it being more trouble, I'll tell you what's more trouble to me - an mp3 option for Pro Tools that sometimes fails to work properly. I bought it a few years ago and now never use it as I found it to be unreliable. One of the most aggravating quirks was there would be no mp3 file at the end of the bounce. No output, no error message, nothing. Oddly, running the bounce again usually made it work. But if it's a crap shoot as to whether or not it will work on the first try, I'm not going to use it.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:54 AM

Although I have the mp3 option, and never had a single hitch with it, still not really use it. If I bounce a high res. wav, and convert a mp3 version with a 3rd party free utility, I have the original, and the mp3, so if it is approved, don't have to bounce once again.
Not to mention that if you have a high res. wav, you can easily convert it to multiple formats, like mp3, flac, etc.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Although I have the mp3 option, and never had a single hitch with it, still not really use it. If I bounce a high res. wav, and convert a mp3 version with a 3rd party free utility, I have the original, and the mp3, so if it is approved, don't have to bounce once again.
Not to mention that if you have a high res. wav, you can easily convert it to multiple formats, like mp3, flac, etc.
Exactly - more options.