Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Recording vocals and Guitar in Reason or Pro Tools

And actually, if I can just speed up the track in PT without changing the key where the instrument plays at a higher pitch, then I don't even need to go into Reason. I just haven't figured out how to increase the tempo in PT without making the instrument play at a higher pitch.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:38 PM

I haven't used 7.4, but I know it has elastic audio. Set it to Polyphonic (or X-Form, if you have it), it should work.

Regarding Reason:

Okay, well Reason 4 cannot use audio in the same way that most DAWs can.

The only way to do this is to create either a NN-19 or NN-XT device. Import the audio file that you exported from Pro Tools. In the case of NN-XT, set it as middle C (NN-19 should make the root note middle C by default). Set the attack to lowest, hold and sustain and release as long as they can go.

Now create a single MIDI note at velocity 127 at the start of your song.

Reason only incorporated full audio functionality in version 6. Version 8 was released, and you can upgrade to it (from any other version) for $129. You should consider that, because the import would be as easy as drag and drop.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I haven't used 7.4, but I know it has elastic audio. Set it to Polyphonic (or X-Form, if you have it), it should work.

Regarding Reason:

Okay, well Reason 4 cannot use audio in the same way that most DAWs can.

The only way to do this is to create either a NN-19 or NN-XT device. Import the audio file that you exported from Pro Tools. In the case of NN-XT, set it as middle C (NN-19 should make the root note middle C by default). Set the attack to lowest, hold and sustain and release as long as they can go.

Now create a single MIDI note at velocity 127 at the start of your song.

Reason only incorporated full audio functionality in version 6. Version 8 was released, and you can upgrade to it (from any other version) for $129. You should consider that, because the import would be as easy as drag and drop.
Thanks. I will try to figure this all out. I'm worried about upgrading to anything because I don't want conflicts with XP and I don't want to change from that because I hate every "new and improved" OS that Microsoft has come up with since. If worst comes to worst, and I can't figure how to do this within PT or how to export from PT to Reason, then I can always record to PT and run it out of the the Fast Track into my BR1600 recording onto a track there. Then I can play that track running through a 1/4" into the Fast Track and into Reason to accomplish what I want. Kind of a Rube Goldberg approach and I don't want to do that, but there's more than one way to skin a cat!
Nonetheless, thank you SOOO much for your valuable information. I just need to do a LOT of reading up on elastic audio, Rewire, and the NN-19 and NN-XT (which I don't normally use, sticking mainly with the combinator). Cheers! And I'll be back with a report on what happens!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:31 PM

Here's my suggestion, assuming your end goal is to use recorded audio and Reason synths at the same time... ReWire does actually work well. Especially for this sort of thing, because samplers that load exceptionally long passages (such as the workaround I detailed in my post) can sometimes drift.. And playback is a pain, because in order to trigger the phrase, you have to start at the top every time..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT5NbuIqSRU

Failing that, you can find a used copy of Reason 6.5 easily. It supports Win XP SP3, and has all the audio features you need for this particular project.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:36 PM

You, Sir, are awesome. And you win the internet tonight!