Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2006, 09:48 AM

Default Project Mix I/O - HUI Controller

Hi!

I was just wondering how well the Project Mix I/O operates as a HUI- (or is it a special mode for PT M-Powered and ProjectMix?) controller to PT M-Powered ?

I once ran a Roland VS2480 in HUI emulated mode as a controller to PT LE, but I didn't find it
very useful when scrolling through track pages - even the master fader was not mapped to
the master fader. That may or may not be a fault of the 2480, I don't know.

Since I'm thinking of buying into a Project Mix I/O as replacement for 001 I am curious on the operation as a controller and how well it works. Expecially with larger sessions - many audio, midi, instrument, and aux tracks, and groups of tracks, visible hidden, voiced/off etc ..

The manual doesn't state much on this.

Cheers,
// Joakim W

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 01-18-2006, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Project Mix I/O - HUI Controller

Hi again!

Anybody tried this yet?

All stores are out out Project Mix nearby so I cannot try it out. I'll have to pre-order.

Cheers,
// J

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 01-18-2006, 09:29 PM

Not sure if I understand your question.. but the ProjectMix has to be used with ProTools M-Powered 7, not ProTools LE.

by the way, here's a good place to buy the ProjectMix while it's cheap and available!

http://www.realtimeproaudio.com/prod...roducts_id/439

Old 01-18-2006, 09:30 PM

Not sure if I understand your question.. but the ProjectMix has to be used with ProTools M-Powered 7, not ProTools LE.

by the way, here's a good place to buy the ProjectMix while it's cheap and available!

http://www.realtimeproaudio.com/prod...roducts_id/439

Old 01-18-2006, 11:18 PM

While true that the I/O of the project mix would be useless in PTLE, and you would still have to use some sort of LE interface (001, 002r, mbox, etc), the control surface could be used in HUI mode to control function of LE (transport, fader, etc).

I think that would be a complete waste of money, but it could be used that way. Better off selling the LE hardware/software and just using it with MP like you mentioned.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-24-2006, 04:26 AM

Hi!

I am sorry if I didn't explain my question thoroughly enough.

I am considering bying ProjectMix/PT M-Powered 7, and I was curious how the unit
works as a control surface. If it is not functioning very well as a control surface I might opt for a Digi002 Rack (using PT LE) instead.

My references above to PT LE was previous experiences having another (Roland) unit acting as a HUI-controller to PT LE 6.4 and Digi001.

So my concern was if it does work better, or good enough when using ProjectMix and M-Powered from a Control Surface point of view.

Thanks for all your input anyways

Ps. when referring to Pro Tools software I'v tried to use:
PT = Pro Tools (for TDM/HD)
PT LE = Pro Tools Limited Edition (001,002,002R Mbox1, Mbox2)
PT M-Powered = Pro Tools LE (almost) ( for M-Audio HW)

Cheers,
// J

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 01-26-2006, 12:02 AM

Hey, I recently bought a projectmix and have been using it as a control surface with 6.4 LE until I can get my hands on m-powered 7. I've been pleased with it as it has increased my productivity, but I have also noticed that it doesn't assign the master fader in PTLE to the master fader on the projectmix. A minor annoyance. otherwise, it works great. I haven;t spent much time with the preamps although I am excited about 16 inputs. working with the Mbox and only two inputs for so long, It has been rough. I think it is a great unit that will inspire a number of products to reach our market.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:25 AM

HI dogselur,

I try to work with Projectmix en PTMP7. Only got ik working a couple of times and even then the masterfader in ptmp7 is not connected to the masterfader op de projectmix. Very strange. I posted my experience with this combination earlier on the forum. Now it doesn''t work at all anymore. The think it is my HP laptop nw8240 playing the bad guy for a good connection between PTMP7 and the projectmix.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 AM

Hi,

I would like to buy the projectmix for my PTools MPowered 7. I know this works... It will even give me 8 more Mic Ins when I use it with my LE 7 Digi 002...

My question is : can I use it also as a kind of fader extension pack for my Digi 002 (16 faders !). It should be yes via the HUI protocol ? But, do I have to connect it via midi cables or with firewire????
Can you tell me Dogselur ?

Thanx a lot,

Les Tambours du Bronx
RE_ORG
Old 01-31-2006, 04:52 PM

As to not high-jack the thread from the original poster, I will ask a similar question..

From what I have read it looks as though you need to run the Project Mix I/o under HUI in Pro Tools M-Powered 7. Is this correct? Rather, If i do not have HUI selected under "Peripherals" the unit wont communicate. Correct?