Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2013, 02:19 AM

Default SSD - Buying Advice (:

AwRight ... ;

I'm planning to invest in a SSD - HDD in my Macbook
(early 2009, 4GB RAM, 160GB, Mountain Lion, Pro Tools 10 & 11) .

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/m...ge/MZ-7PD128BW

Would that one be a clever shot or what do you people recommend in the same price-range ?

I'm about to swap the optical drive (Superdrive) and put the new HDD in its' place .

some serious information only,
please ... (:

- zergei W -
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 AM

Default Re: SSD - Buying Advice (:

Hi, I have the 256 version and have had no issues. I have researched numerous sources that have all said the that the Pro model is an excellent recommendation.

All the best!

MacBook Pro Max 64GB ram 2TB SSD, 8TB & 4TB External SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3, Pro Tools Carbon, Apollo 8 Quad Black Lion Mod, UAD Octo, Avid S3, Avid Dock
Old 09-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Default Re: SSD - Buying Advice (:

You can search DUC, this question has been asked and answered a lot frequently.

The 840 Pro is a great SSD. Its unclear what you are asking are you buying an SSD and a HDD? And is the SSD an boot/system or audio drive.

128 GB is a bit small, and the 128GB Samsung (and other) drives have a littls slower perforamnce than a 256 GB or above drive, all simply how many internap IO paths there are to NAND chips in the drive. I would aso increase the default overprovisionign/sparing it the drive, to say around 20% (from the hidden 7% default). So that means you would "lose" 13% of the total space.

Overprovision the drive and more importantly enable TRIM. All explained in recent posts by me.

This is a MacBook right? Not a Macbook Pro? I am assuming a MacBook (non Pro) I think you are lucky in that the optical drive in those models are SATA (they were the first ones in that product line IIRC) so you can install a SATA SSD in the optical bay. But I believe both the internal drive and optical bay are only SATA I (1.5 Gbps). The Samsung 840 Pro are SATA III (6 Gbps) and they can drive a serious amount of that SATA bandwidth so you are leaving a significant amount of IO performance on the table, but for random IO you will still see performance well above a typical HDD. Just think through carefully spending too much money upgrading this Macbook you may be a lot better off with a new one.