Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 08-10-2017, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Sound on Sound?

if it helps any , I use playlists and alternate takes/loop recording for this kind of drum editing
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 PM

Basically when you want to punch drums, you would have the drummer play exactly what he was playing on the previous track. So if there's a fill to a Kick drum and a crash on the downbeat, then that's what he should play. Then you will get the ring of the toms and the punch will just work. If you punch in to him just playing Kick Snare and hat, you will always have problems. Why? Well because you probably don't want the tight kit to just fade up under the other sounds.

And by the way, how would your "other DAW" know how long you would like this crossfade to be? Will it just feel it? You are using the wrong method to solve your problem. It won't work.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Love to know the names of the "other DAWs". I own most of them and they all work like PT.
Mixbus has a feature called track layering which is distinct from takes. Opacity is an interesting concept.

Quote:
Region Layers

Regions may be stacked on the same location in the timeline. This is called “layering”. Normally only the top region is heard; it covers the audio regions below it. However there are cases where the region below can be heard. One example is the top region’s fade-in or fade-out. Region fades operate as crossfades. If a region is stacked on top of another region, then the region underneath will audibly “fade out”, while the topmost region “fades in” across the length of the crossfade. The second way to hear a region below the topmost region is if the topmost region is not *opaque *(the Opaque flag can be turned off in the Region menu and/or the right-click Region context menu).
I would assume this is a feature of Ardour (the underlying DAW).