Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 03-20-2017, 01:47 PM

Default Perpetual limbo

Been on PT since 6.something. A while back I started doing upgrades via Sweetwater because I buy my gear through them. Last March I was moved into the Perpetual license scenario. I paid my $99 (plus the $99 for the plug-ins just to see what those were like). As far as I understood, this entitled me to support and software updates for the calendar year. Pretty cool.

However, I've been in this weird spot where I can't do Mac OS updates when a new major release comes out because PT isn't supported yet. By the time PT would be supported, you can't get the x.0 release to then get to the version that's supported. Granted, I don't record often, so I'll take the hit on just not finding the right window when the stars aligned.

My real issue is that apparently I had 30 days to activate my annual plan [I may have received one email about that, but of course this was really different from what I had before]. Avid cancelled my annual plan even though someone had my money. I didn't find out until I went to update to a newer PT release. I have no email from Avid saying that I was dropped.

So what did I get for my money? Nothing. What kind of business practice is this? Sweetwater says they have attempted contact with Avid to rectify this (either reinstate me or refund the money). No can do. I can pay $299 to reinstate. Listen, if I had been though this annual plan thing before I would have known about this weird thing where I pay money but flush it down the toilet if I don't activate. It would make sense that letting a previous annual plan expire would not allow you to renew after the 30 day grace period, but I paid!!!

Anyone else stuck in this limbo (or hell rather)?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Perpetual limbo

So it's been a year since you purchased a 1 year plan you never registered.
Is this correct?

Here it is March again (A year later)

Have you tried to register what you purchased last year? (In your avid account)

You or an admin should move this post to the Licensing tab....

But keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:12 PM

One more thing; don't be afraid to download any and all updates for Pro Tools and just keep them, maybe on an external drive. You don't have to install them right now(in fact, I recommend that everyone download EVERY update, whether you plan to use it or not). I keep every update or installer on a 500GB external drive(you never know when you may need an installer or update and I hate trying to find stuff a year later)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2017, 03:31 PM

Not sure how to move the post, but I will do some research.

The only option I have is to pay $299 for reinstatement. I tried using the activation code, but it did not work.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:04 PM

Sonicmosaic, have you created a registration support case yet?
http://avid.force.com/Support/RegistrationCaseCreation

If you have proof of purchase and an unused upgrade plan code then I'm sure they'll help you get everything ironed out.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 PM

Thanks Jimmy. I was not aware of that option. I just submitted something. The way I look at this, I paid the money for the annual plan. I didn't use it, but the money was taken. My next year would be starting shortly, and I am more than happy to pay for that renewal. I am now more cognizant of this idiosyncrasy in licensing, and I will be vigilant about staying in the good graces of Avid. Like so many others, I have a big history (and investment) in PT. I rarely use it, but it works for me. I don't want to try something new because of this.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 PM

Thanks for starting a support case - I'll look it up to see if there's anything I can do to assist...
Old 03-21-2017, 06:37 AM

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM

Default Perpetual limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicmosaic View Post
Thanks Jimmy. I was not aware of that option. I just submitted something. The way I look at this, I paid the money for the annual plan. I didn't use it, but the money was taken. My next year would be starting shortly, and I am more than happy to pay for that renewal. I am now more cognizant of this idiosyncrasy in licensing, and I will be vigilant about staying in the good graces of Avid. Like so many others, I have a big history (and investment) in PT. I rarely use it, but it works for me. I don't want to try something new because of this.

It's the license that's perpetual, not the upgrade entitlement - you need to activate the license with unbroken continuity from version to version, annual plan to annual plan.

If it were the upgrade entitlement that was perpetual, you could have bought it when PT12 came along, and just wait until a version of PT was released that you felt had all the features, and stability you craved - perhaps PT18 - and then you'd have a year of support and upgrade from that point of activation.

Everyone would just do that, which isn't really fair on Avid, and completely defeats the point of the annual upgrade / support plan.

Hopefully Avid will work with you on some sort of compromise, whether they can give you last years iLok license - meaning you can install up to PT12.7.1.

Or perhaps charge you another $99 and extended your original plan by a year, giving you access to PT12.8 and beyond, until the next renewal.

You may get lucky, and just get a new activation, Avid don't actually go out of their way to be evil.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 AM

Sweetwater Sound was able to work this out with Avid. I am reinstated! No more limbo!

This was definitely a bit confusing for me. Having paid for the year but not activated got me in this mess. Now that I'm on board it won't be a problem to stay activated. I do the same with Microsoft Office (annual) and Adobe CC (monthly).

I don't think that Avid is evil by any means. I just thought this particular practice was odd. The annual upgrade thing makes perfect sense. I like this better than the old upgrades. It's easy for me to budget $99/year. Even if I rarely use PT, I like the idea of continuing to support the product/company.

Thanks!