Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM

Question multiple interfaces with Pro Tools 8

I am running pro tools m-powered 8 on a 2011 iMac. I have an M-audio fast track ultra. I need more inputs as I have several hardware synthesizers. I am wondering if I can just purchase a new interface and use it in conjunction with the fast track ultra, because I like the octane preamps I have and would rather not buy an interface with mic preamps. I like the Echo AudioFire 12- good converters and 12 inputs. Does anyone know if pro tools 8 will support the fast track ultra and the audiofire 12 simultaneously? Thanks in advance.

Hey I just googled the DUC and read several posts on multiple interfaces. It seems that Core Audio on the mac will allow me to aggregate devices so that PT sees them as a single interface. But apparently not all interfaces allow this. So I guess my question now is does m-audio fast track ultra and echo audiofire 12 support aggregate interfaces? Thanks.

I also read that PT 9 supports recording from multiple interfaces but I think I choose not to upgrade for now.

Last edited by montelee; 01-02-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: further reading shows possible solution
Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 PM

Default Re: multiple interfaces with Pro Tools 8

8 will not do do aggregate I/Os
you need 9 or 10 to do aggregate I/Os

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 AM

Could get a 2626 for pretty cheap, and hook up any variety of ADAT/spdif preamp for up to 18 I/O (max in M-Powered versions).

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
8 will not do do aggregate I/Os
you need 9 or 10 to do aggregate I/Os
I thought that the mac would do aggregate interfaces regardless of which PT I have; it's a mac thing, not a PT thing. Am I wrong in thinking this?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 PM

Pro Tools v8 and before only use Avid/Digi interfaces
from v9 onward Pro tools will look at other interfaces

it's the way the software is

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-06-2013, 04:18 PM

Thumbs up Re: multiple interfaces with Pro Tools 8

Thanks for your answers guys. Now I know that it's time to upgrade to PT9. or 10
Old 01-06-2013, 04:47 PM

I agree with the M-Audio Profire 2626. I currently have the ADAT outs from the 2626 going into my Project mix essentially giving me 16 in's not including spdif which if included will give me 18 in's without any problems.

I did not have to install drivers for the 2626 because it can be used as a stand alone.

Protools recognizes all the inputs and I have used them all without any problems recording at 48K/26 bit.

I use the PMIO for my keyboards and other sound modules and use the 2626 for mics (better preamps).

IMO, if you want to increase the number of your inputs to hookup your keyboards, you cant go wrong with a 2626 as long as your audio interface has adat inputs and outputs.

By the way, you can not install 2 M-Audio drivers on your system at the same time. If you do, you're looking for alot of headaches.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
I agree with the M-Audio Profire 2626. I currently have the ADAT outs from the 2626 going into my Project mix essentially giving me 16 in's not including spdif which if included will give me 18 in's without any problems.

I did not have to install drivers for the 2626 because it can be used as a stand alone.

Protools recognizes all the inputs and I have used them all without any problems recording at 48K/26 bit.

I use the PMIO for my keyboards and other sound modules and use the 2626 for mics (better preamps).

IMO, if you want to increase the number of your inputs to hookup your keyboards, you cant go wrong with a 2626 as long as your audio interface has adat inputs and outputs.

By the way, you can not install 2 M-Audio drivers on your system at the same time. If you do, you're looking for alot of headaches.

^ everthing this guy said.

M-Powered has its limitations, but you can utilize its full potential even on a limited budget. Even just a pair of 2626s... one connected via FW, the other connected to the first in standalone via ADAT... that's 16 pres, with a S/PDIF pair still left. With a higher budget, you could get an A2D, or another nice clock source and really make your sound sparkle. There have been a number of high end studios that swear by the 2626 as the main interface into Pro Tools.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515