Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Default Sayonara Pro Tools

After 13 years using pro tools I've decided to abandon it for Ableton. Let me explain. I've recently gotten into Native Instruments - VIs, modular synths, etc. I find that with PT 2018.10 I am unable to play a synthesizer or sampler patch that I've created in Reaktor. This is enormously frustrating to me. I've noticed that Ableton, Studio One, Logic are all more compliant with Native Instruments than Pro Tools. I'm also getting tired of Pro Tools' laggard approach to complying with Mac OS X upgrades. And problems with midi - don't ask.

This is not to bad mouth PT. Users evolve over time. Pro Tools was a great education for me, but it's not where I'm at now. I get it that PT built its reputation as an audio production tool. I do some audio production, but I don't need the bloated power and bells and whistles of PT. Ableton will work fine for live recording sessions. More importantly, it works seamlessly with my Komplete Kontrol keyboard and all my Reaktor ensembles. In Mojave no less!
Scarlett 18i8
Presonus Eris 4.5 monitors
Komplete Kontrol A49
Akai EWI 4000s midi wind controller
Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Sayonara Pro Tools

We use Live10 Suite with PUSH2 for all midi production HOWEVER I would never ever use it for Audio work as Live 10 doesn’t even have panning on the tracks which is a real weirdo moment and the workflow with audio in Ableton is a serious strain so PT HD 2018.12 for all audio trqcking and mixing and Live10 Suite for midi with Push2 as that combo takes the things each DAW was built for so best of both worlds. No need to only go to either one when you can have them both.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-22-2019, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Sayonara Pro Tools

Live 10 does have panning control on tracks, both dial knob and L/R numerical control! It's in the mixer section in the Session view and, I'm pretty sure, in the Arrangement view too.
Scarlett 18i8
Presonus Eris 4.5 monitors
Komplete Kontrol A49
Akai EWI 4000s midi wind controller
Old 03-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Default Sayonara Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgood View Post
I'm also getting tired of Pro Tools' laggard approach to complying with Mac OS X upgrades.

Just now getting tired? I got tired of Apples incessant approach to updates back about 10.8, then by 10.10 I got so tired I quit Mac all together and went to Windows.

It’s Apples issue (they don’t have a update every year, some of those updates are maintenance, but it’s free advertising and people eat it up like candy) and Avid has to deal with it. Not good for the end user....either.

Imagine what Avid could do if they could focus on Development instead of maintain functionality of each Apple iteration. Also keep in mind Avid is the house, NI is a room in the house....it’s a greater burden on Avid to keep functionality than to NI
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.